New Releases 03/08/18

The Gulp album is pretty good

this is really good!

2 Likes

JFDR - White Sun Live. Part I: Strings

It’s just an ep, but it’s lovely reworked songs (with strings) of various songs from her JFDR/Samaris/Pascal Pinon bands. Really beautiful stuff. Makes me want a new Pascal Pinon album.

1 Like
  • been enjoying the ovar smarason album which she guests on - it’s got that old morr music feel to it whilst holding on to the now.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, @paulo13. I too am partial to a little JFDR. I see on Spotify there are actually two similarly titled EP releases, the other one live, with different tracks. So, check out the second one too (if you haven’t already). Its lovely stuff indeed.

I listened to it a bit at the time, but it didn’t stick with me and I haven’t listened in a while. I much preferred the album he did with Sin Fang and Soley at the start of the year (although that feels so long ago!).

yep, I’ve downloaded the first one from eMusic and listened to the second three tracks on Spotify. All very lovely. Might buy a ticket for the JFDR/Pascal Pinon gig that’s happening later in the year I think.

Is emusic still a thing?

1 Like

As soon as streaming took off, I left emusic.

In 10 years someone will probably organise mp3 music day. A day where irrelevant artists re-release their albums with a bonus track via mp3. It’s going to be brilliant.

1 Like

there was a thread about it recently, apparently lots of labels have abandoned it lately and its catalogue is shrinking fast. so it’s still a thing but probably not for much longer.

1 Like

There’s a new Spider Bags album out. Got 4/5 in the Guardian. Classic US 90s indie rock à la Dinosaur Jr & Superchunk.

1 Like

This is really great! Thanks for the tip. Reminds me a lot of Purling Hiss around the time of Water on Mars / Weirdon.

1 Like

Loving the Helena Hauff album. Has some magnificent tracks.
It’s getting me very distracted from work and can’t wait to listen to it on quality headphones later.

2 Likes