New Releases 06/10/2017

Excited for Wolf Parade and really excited about Strange Ranger. My attempt to start a thread about the latter failed, but if you like Modest Mouse and/or sad, melodic Pacific NW inspired music I highly recommend giving them a shot. I gave the new one a quick distracted listen when it was streaming on Stereogum early and it’s much more subdued than the debut. This is the one that jumped out at me the most on first listen:

1 Like

That’s a shame. I’ve only really listened to Blackened Cities but I really like Your Freedom is the End of Me. I should probably give her first record a whirl before jumping on this.

I bought Flat Worms from RTE at lunchtime but I don’t think it’s supposed to be out until next Friday.

Yup! No you’re right, just out today as well. First impressions? Fairly favourable myself…

2 Likes

I’ll have to check this out. Hoping for some new Caribou stuff at some point. Though I must admit I was a little disappointed with Our Love. A handful of great tracks on there, but it’s no Swim. Too many half-baked ideas.

Good on first blush - needs more listens

1 Like

Ah so excited for this didn’t realise it was out today thanks for the heads up. One of my favourite new bands. Where’s the thread you started?

Just started on Manson’s new one. The Pale Emperor was his best on 15 years (probably not that hard the achieve given the quality of his output in that time) but havent been as impressed with the couple of tracks ive heard pre-release this time around. Was hoping for a similar sound to the Pale Emperor but this sounds horribly overproduced.

I quite enjoyed TPE. This is mad shit though.

Great call. Never heard of this band before but listened to the album on the way home tonight. Superb.

2 Likes

glad you liked it. Their album from last year is pretty good too.

All about the new Street Sects release for me. Sample based industrial/electronic tracks that are a little more mellow and melody driven here than on their grindier album from last year. Manages to sound really cluttered but focused at the same time. If this was twice as long it would maybe be my AOTY.

Kelela. Great future-R&B on Warp.

Thanks @colossalhorse, your Melanie De Biasio suggestion has really brightened up my Sunday listening no end. Until then, I was really struggling with this week’s set of releases. Will be exploring her back catalogue on Spotify next.

Ta muchly!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it! I haven’t got around to listening to it myself - I’m hoping it’ll be a good Monday morning pick me up record.

Good luck with that; be interested to know what you think. Reviewing her back catalogue, I hear a real progression from her earlier work. Contrary to @feedthecollapse I prefer the more experimental nature of this newer work, but you know each to their own and all that. Will need to give it further listens this week, to see if it sticks. But I feel it will. Thanks, again.

So, it’s getting to the end of the week, I’ve done my listening, and I can now pretty confidently state that the best 3 releases for 06.10.17 were …

1. The Weather Station - s/t
  2. Melanie De Biasio - Lilies
  3. Deradoorian - Eternal Recurrence

Questions?

This is ace!