New Releases 09/02/2018

Palm. Awesome

That new Ezra album is fantastic, sort of feels like the kind of album that prepells him to a new level in a lot of ways. Not as immediate as his others and more experimental yet plenty of attention grabbing melodies and hooks. Fantastic stuff

1 Like

Im loving it but seems to eork as an album rather than a collection of songs as the middle stretch seems a lot more sketch-like rather than fleshed out songs. 1st track is song of the year for me so far, cant get it out of my head

First I’ve ever heard him (see mix-up with George Ezra from other thread). Found it pretty captivating, but wasn’t sure whether his voice and lyrics were great or a bit grating. Will definitely give it a few more listens.

Absolutely love the Horseflies record, and the first half of the Rae Morris one.

I personally love his voice and lyrics but understand why people wouldn’t gel with them. Maybe listening to Perpetual Motion People which is a lot more bombastic with his vocals will help them click a bit more :slight_smile:

Yeah, I agree with you. I think as an album it is absolutely his best but maybe doesn’t have the obvious standalone tracks that he has in the past (outside of Suck the Blood From My Wound).

Still, loving it and cannot wait to see him live.

1 Like

IMHO one of the best currently touring acts. Cannot wait to seem him at EOTR AGAIN!

1 Like

Yeah sorry the album is pretty great, some lovely production on it.

Many thanks for all who mentioned Hovvdy and Paper Dollhouse. Both exceptionally good albums. Still to check out Palm and GoGo Penguin, hoping for the level of quality to continue

1 Like

Wow GoGo Penguin, wow! On first spin that is a ridiculously great album

1 Like

Yeah, that Ezra song is essentially Badlands mashed together with Time To Pretend isn’t it! Still pretty good fun mind.

I actually think that MGMT album is a doozy, really fun.

2 Likes

I’ve been regularly spinning it, my favourite of the year so far for sure, has grown on me a fair bit too, I don’t love every moment but there’s some really strong stuff in there. I really liked bones, but i get what you mean despite it being the first full band release. I think this one hits a wider ball park, more range in tone from one track to another for sure.

Maybe I’m being stupid but God Lifts Up The Lowly also sounds very like I’m Coming Down by Primal Scream to me, I keep expecting Bobby Gillespie to come in. I’m enjoying the album though.

1 Like

The first four songs on the Franz Ferdinand album are really great I think, as good as anything they’ve done.

1 Like

definitely takes a bit of a dip in the middle but gets really good again at the end:

I think the music’s very good and the voice is fine, but the lyrics are a bit grating for me. That hammy ‘wasted angel’ schtick gets thin pretty quickly.

A fun album, but not necessarily a long term keeper I think.

Find it tiring that his every act is framed as a survivor story/protest against an unjust society.

Where a Springsteen or Dylan would sketch an image or character - it’s never complete for Furman until he turns to the camera, points his finger back at the world and exposes all the squares in it. The millennial voice we deserve, I guess.

Just sounds like self victimisation/vindication/justification to me, that limits the shelf life of some alright tunes and poisons them with overwhelming authorial intent.

Obv he’s fine but so many reviews compare him to the greats with just a superficial understanding of both him and his influences. Give over.

1 Like