New releases 10th March 2023

What’s cutting through the snow today then?

For me:

Hack-Poets Guild - Blackletter Garland

Hack-Poets Guild is a collaboration between three British folk artists – Lisa Knapp, Marry Waterson & Nathaniel Mann - each contributing four of the twelve reinterpretations and reworkings of traditional songs on this album. Really enjoying what I’ve heard of this so far especially the Lisa Knapp-sung Daring Highwayman which reminds me a lot of Stick in the Wheel, who I love.

The Luka State - More Than This

Indie rock in an early Arctic Monkeys style with a couple of Oasis-sounding ones and a bit of social conscience. Nothing desperately new here but it’s good stuff. My main interest in this, though, is that The Luka State are from Winsford in Cheshire like I am, and this is the first Winsford band I’ve been aware of that have broken through. This is their second album but this is the first time they’ve crossed my path.

I only realised the Winsford connection when I happened to see their tour poster and noticed that one of the destinations is… not like the others. If this band had been around in Winsford in the mid-90s, I’d have lost my shit over them.

4 Likes

Fever Ray innit

31 Likes

And also:

Das Koolies - The Condemned EP

The Gruff-less Super Furries with this EP of electro-psych.

“Chains of decayed connection and shackles of genre-expectation are audibly broken as Huw Bunford, Cian Ciarán, Dafydd Ieuan and Guto Pryce restore original Furry vision with techno-inspired, heavy-tech sound inspired by illegal rave roots, re-routing their paths as notorious scientists of sound, taking the outside lane to arrive close to where it all began for Super Furry Animals.”

4 Likes

Fever Ray! Already had 1 spin, probably don’t need to hear the last track ever again but otherwise :+1:

1 Like

Death cab acoustic version of their latest album

7 Likes

Looking forward to giving this new Manchester orchestra ep a play later

7 Likes

New Miley

8 Likes

Sleaford mods have a new one

8 Likes
8 Likes

Lichen Slow - Rest Lurks

Featuring Malcolm Middleton (Arab Strap) and Joel Harries (Team Leader and 72%). Some kind of post-rock / indie / electronica mash up.

9 Likes

New Ulrika Spacek
RIYL Deerhunter / DIIV etc

19 Likes

H Hawkline - Milk For Flowers

Wonky indie pop FFO Cate Le Bon, Sweet Baboo, Tim Presley

6 Likes

Nia Archives - Sunrise Bang Ur Head Against Tha Wall

Loving this new EP. 6 short tracks. Jungle is the jumping-off point with melodic bits and R&B in there and a Lily Allen sounding one. Good stuff.

4 Likes

Lonnie Holley - Oh Me Oh My

Cosmic improv balladeer remaining as far out as he always is, quite a lot of tracks with collaborators this time - Moor Mother, Michael Stipe, Sharon Van Etten, Bon Iver, Rokia Kone, Jeff Parker

Dunno if that link is working

1 Like

Takes me to a link to download Spotify but here’s one that should work:

3 Likes

Do they not get bored of making the same song about the same thing over and over again?

1 Like

Frankie Rose - Love as Projection

Bouncy synth pop, FFO School of Seven Bells

2 Likes

It’s all about Fever Ray today.

3 Likes

Never listened to them so no idea :grimacing:

Scree - Jasmine On A Night In July

instrumental trio who "use the great Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darvish’s work to explore themes of longing and nostalgia for a distant homeland’. A bit like a much more mellow jazzy Khruangbin maybe?