New Releases 11/09/20

Debut by band featuring two members of Falaise, the preview tracks have been excellent. Atmospheric black;

The Wannadies have a new single out! Would love it if that means there’s a chance of seeing them #PlayTheHits (#PlayHit)

2 Likes

New Quakers record out on Stones Throw.

2 Likes

Nice bit of fuzzy buzzy riffy dream-pop from Total Rubbish.

1 Like

Shorty was a banger

1 Like

one for the last.fm scrobbles

I had an insane day at work, so I’m finally home and drinking beer and listening to the new Mammal Hands album. I really like this group, and ‘Black Sails’ off their last(?) album is one of my favourites from recent years. I know they’re UK jazz adjacent, but the combination of piano, saxophone and drums remind me of when I used to rinse Black Heart Procession albums and the 90 Day Men when I was a student in the early 2000s.

Rather pathetic comparison as it’s just another artist that uses piano prominently, but it also reminds me of that Spencer Krug as Moonface album, Julia with Blue Jeans on. Only more… (pathetic that I used to think I was a good music critic and look at me now)… jazzy?

Looking forward to Doves and Flaming Lips, even though 2 songs from each album will be a bit over-familiar. (Both good, but just played to death on 6 music).

Really didn’t like the last Doves album, but the new tracks have a certain urgency, almost even anger to them which works well. Flaming Lips sounds a bit more like their old selves. If I’m being cynical I’d say it sounds like they are trying to recapture their old magic after going a bit stale. But on the other hand, sounds promising so hoping the full album works out.

…and then need to work my way through the rest of this thread as usual. Lots of interesting suggestions.

1 Like

Never heard of Kairon; IRSE before but checked out and really liked, thanks. Will follow up on more of their stuff.

1 Like

Ridiculously strong release date for me.

Everything Everything
Flaming Lips
Doves
PJ Harvey demos

And the Susanna album is (surprisingly) the best of the lot. Dark and gorgeous.

Really struggling to decide what to play next… :sunglasses:

I really liked the other Jockstrap EP, so tried this one and am not sure what to make of it. Firstly, it seems like it’s half remixes. But they are very Jockstrappy remixes, in that they’ve basically dialled up the weird/wacky bits. They definitely seem to be a band that can’t stop taking the piss which can go either way. The rest of it seems OK but not quite made up my mind. (Bearing in mind I did hear the remixy bits dwhen I’d just woken up which I’m thinking isn’t recommended).

Susanna seems like quite stripped-back piano and vocals, not much else. It’s quite nice but not sure about a whole album of it.

Kairen; IRSE! - the band name looks like a cat walked across their keyboard when they were coming up with it, but it’s actually pretty damn good. A little shoegazey at times, but opens up a lot more than that suggests and really soars at times. Feels like this is likely to be my favourite this week.

1 Like

The Brothers Burn Mountain - The Dark Exchange

Alan Sparhawk from Low plays guitar and does a little producing on some of this record. Northern Minnesota mystical forest rock.

4 Likes

Well I had no idea what mystical forest rock was supposed to sound like so had to give it a try, and it’s really rather good!

1 Like

Thanks; enjoying this @aboynamedgoo. Nice find.

2 Likes

Just had my first listen to a new album by Asaf Avidan, and it sounds good. He’s got a nice intriguing voice too.

1 Like

That is some good noise. Very Jesus Lizard.

1 Like

Blimey. this is a bit good!

1 Like

Their previous album is slightly less shoegazey with the propulsive kraut/psych really dialled up

1 Like

That almost sounds like a different band at times. Really liking it as well though. Thanks!

1 Like

Making my way through this and so far pretty much every song so far has been split 5050 between music I really hate and something that’s actually rather good. Almost turned it off a number of times, but each time it starts to blossom.

Definitely not “my kind of music” but am feeling very conflicted. Will definitely have to give it a few more goes.

1 Like