New Releases 13/05/22

The new releases keep rolling in with a bunch of highly anticipated albums!

The new Kendrick Lamar dropped literally a few minutes ago. I’m sure this one needs no introduction:

The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood team up with Sons of Kemet drummer Tom Skinner. Not a big fan of Radiohead myself, but the singles have sounded fairly promising so I’m looking forward to this one.

Gospel - The Loser

Brooklyn post-hardcore/progressive rock band with their first record in seventeen years.

My own top three picks for this week:

Munly & The Lupercalians - Kinnery of Lupercalia: Undelivered Legion

Slim Cessna’s Auto Club member and gothic country legend Jay Munly releases his first album under his own name since 2010. Expect dark, brooding Faulkner-esque storytelling, death chants, yodelling and lots of banjos.

Say Sue Me - The Last Thing Left

Fuzzy, jangly indie surf from South Korea. Perfect listening for a warm spring day.

Monophonics - Sage Motel

Infectious psychedelic soul featuring one of the best vocalists in the business in Kelly Finnigan.

What have the rest of you got lined up for today?

10 Likes

Canadian punk rock band Pkew Pkew Pkew because fun is important.

3 Likes

Kevin Morby!

4 Likes

melodic black metal

2 Likes

New Moderat (electronic-y pop goodness) for me today.

And the new collab album between Nightports and double bass player Tom Herbert. Loved the ones they did with Matthew Bourne and Betamax, so looking forward to this.

7 Likes

Very excited to listen to:
Obongjayar -

& They Hate Change

When I’ve put Kendrick & The Smile down.
Both hip-hop adjacent kinda alt-rap.

2 Likes

this Gospel album is a bit of a ride

1 Like

Long Island Sound - Lost Connection.

Relaxed, pretty electronica. Ffo Bicep.

6 Likes

me this morning

9 Likes

Welcome to the Back Parade!

2 Likes
  • Back
  • In crisis

0 voters

1 Like

Obongyajar for me. Only heard two tracks but sounded like catchy hip-hop with the slightest strains of electronica and reggae to me.

Will give Gospel a go too

3 Likes

The Say Sue Me album cover is too cute

1 Like

Very weak day for releases for me but may well check out the new albums from Lambert and Kevin Morby or just carry on listening to loads of stuff from 1991 as I have done for most of this week.

Ethel Cain - Preacher’s Daughter.

Part Lana Del Rey, part Springsteen, but then throw in a little doom metal and gothic rock towards the end.

Florence + The Machine - Dance Fever

Found her last album pretty good to be honest, and I’ve heard good things about this one too.

Tachys (Jonas from Mew’s new collab album)

5 Likes

Well that Ethel Cain has gone to the top of my listening list then

1 Like

Oooh! Been wondering when this would be out

Sacred Son - The Foul Deth of Engelond (black metal, doom)

4 Likes

I’m sure there are much bigger releases I should be listening to but I’ve had this french band on most the morning…

Smart Zombies - Angst - Album - Electro Rock
Its like Carpenter Brut did the theme song for the TV show Black Books and made an album out of it. Playful with nice beats, there isn’t a bad track on the album.

4 Likes