New Releases 13/08/2021 šŸ‘»šŸ‘»

Uhm so that Killers record is kind of excellentā€¦ wasnā€™t expecting that

5 Likes

Great new Katy B track. Very smooth, dancey R&B

4 Likes

There was a new Into It. Over It album earlier this year or last year.

1 Like

Agreed. Not sure Iā€™ve ever knowingly enjoyed anything by them before, but it seems this new one is a belter!

2 Likes

Tried the Killers, couldnā€™t get into it because of how hard it really really wants to be Springsteen. I was a bit embarrassed for them.

1 Like

Josienne Clarke - A Small Unknowable Thing

Singer-songwriter - not folk

But if you like folk, you still might like this. Actually if you do like folk, you quite probably already know Josienne Clarke from her previous duo with Ben Walker, and the lyrics on this album are really quite something about that relationship. Her blog post for some context on that.

1 Like

Can everyone stop going on about how good the new Killers album is - Iā€™m not falling for it !!!

Fairly quiet week for me - but Charles Spearin and Elizabeth Owens both seem very good on first listen. The latter in particular very intriguing, and think itā€™ll need a few goes to fully reveal itself.

Enjoyed Unreqvited but even though Iā€™ve hardly heard anything in this genre, it does feel quite familiar.

1 Like

Damon & Naomi - A Sky Record

An homage to the relaxed krautrock LPs released by the defunct 1970s label Sky Records, created by two thirds of the legendary Galaxie 500.

1 Like

alexalone - alexaloneworld

90s tinged indie rock out on polyvinyl

2 Likes

Also keep coming back to Elizabeth Owens. Thereā€™s a lot going on there to uncover. Great stuff.

1 Like

It definitely hits that sweet spot between experimental and accessible, so it doesnā€™t feel like hard work.

1 Like

The Shadracks - From Human Like Forms

Garagey post-punk. If I hadnā€™t known this was a new release by a young band (with the son of Billy Childish on guitar and vocals), Iā€™d have assumed it was originally out in 1978 or something. Which isnā€™t meant as a criticism - it wears those Wire & Buzzcocks influences well and and turns them into something pretty great.

2 Likes

Paragon Cause - Autopilot

Shoegazey indie-rock from Ottawa.

1 Like

Released today (16th) so apologies if that breaks protocols.

1 Like

Swerve - Ruin Your Day

And if I hadnā€™t have known this was the debut album from an LA-based indie rock four-piece, Iā€™d have guessed it was an early 90s Creation Records band who ended up getting lumped in with Britpop. So nothing especially new here, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Really enjoying the new album by Closed Circuits. Very much a dark late night electronic record, with a suitably deep baritone vocal. Love a baritone. I stumbled into this guyā€™s stuff earlier this year, and I basically have been rinsing his entire discography. It is so absolutely ā€˜meā€™ and this new album is no exception. He oscillates between sad beauty to static noise and fury expertly. Heā€™s fantastic.

1 Like

The opening track has my attention!

1 Like

I mean, I already thought Imploding the Mirage was an obvious return to form (those songs will hit hard on the 2022 tour). But Pressure Machine confirms it.

1 Like

The still of Bruce looks like a terrible Photoshop football fans make of a long-dead manager from their glorious past watching over the current team from ā€œheavenā€

4 Likes