New Releases 14/06/2019

How’s everyone feeling about the Bill Callahan record? I love Smog but for whatever reason have never bothered with his BC releases. Just feels like it lacks the bite and rough edges that are a big part of what I like about Smog but maybe I’m not giving it enough of a chance.

I think it’s lovely. You have to give it a bit of time because there a lot of songs on it and on first listen they all sound a bit similar. Each one’s a little pearl though.

He’s definitely a different proposition now to in the Smog era, but then he’s nearly 15 years older than he was when he made the last Smog record and nearly 30 years older than he was when he made the first one. It would be surprising (and a bit sad) if he was still the same person.

His solo albums have been consistently excellent though. Dream River (the last one) was as good as anything he’s ever done.

1 Like

Max Cooper remixes of Olafur Arnalds. FFO Max Cooper and Olafur Arnalds.

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/max-cooper-has-remixed-ólafur-arnalds-and-it-is-heavenly

2 Likes

Cheers, will definitely give it a few more listens. On first listen I definitely liked that each song felt like a small vignette.

Yeah. The new Springsteen album is brilliant. Similar in style to My Hometown than his big rock numbers.

Really enjoyed these

Never heard of Claire Cronin before recommendation upthread, tremendous album. Strong shades of early Cat Power.
The new Bill Callahan is wonderful. The last quarter is particularly beautiful.

Was hoping for better from Springsteen, have been rinsing his catalog recently while reading his autobiography but not feeling this yet.

Could be my album of the year so far. Absolutely brilliant.

2 Likes

Agree with all of that (thanks @rich-t) . It does remind me of early Cat Power (high praise) but there’s something else it reminds me of more that I can’t quite place. I particularly like the more discordant, electric, songs like Call Out.

2 Likes

I bought the soundtrack to Self Discovery For Social Survival earlier, and it’s fantastic. Dungen, Allah-la’s, Peaking Lights, Connan Mockasin all contributing. I quite fancy seeing the film that goes with it too.

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=62982