New Releases 16 Sep 22

Yeah more agreement here , it use to be really useful. First it got taken advantage by people copying famous band names to get in these. Then actual bands started releasing relentless demos, single edits of songs to keep them coming up and now finally it seems Spotify has changed how it works , as mine is now full with bands I’ve never listened to or heard off. Shame, use to be a nice Friday morning listen.

Doing the 1001 albums thing means that mine is pretty much all legacy acts and stuff I only listened to once (today 5 of the first 10 things on the list are by artists who are dead and have been for some time[insert queen joke here]).

Very Weezer-esque , but that’s my kinda thing , so thanks for the recommendation

1 Like

Lots out today! Glad I didn’t post this morning as most of mine have been mentioned since. Some other remaining releases:

Knobs - Stipple
Not the easiest of acts to Google… but it’s very lovely laid back loops, samples and synths. Delightful little album.

Jonsi, Sin Fang, Alex Somers, Kjartan Holm - Sounds Of Fischer Vol. 1
Sigur Ros chap and other Icelandics. Ambient soundscapey sounds I think.

Klangstoff - Godspeed To The Freaks
Dutch band. Sad melancholic indie band.

Pina Pilau - Illusion
Singer songwriter indie pop. On the same label as Black Sea Dahu and Odd Beholder, both of whom I really like.

Ondara - Spanish Villager No. 3
Kenyan singer songwriter with another Americana country-esque album.

2 Likes

Haven’t warmed to a Death Cab album since Narrow Stairs but this new one is really hitting the spot right now…

3 Likes

I love almost everything they’ve done, but this is their best in a while. Yeah possibly since narrow stairs. Loving it

A companion album to the critically acclaimed Midnight Rocker, this is Adrian Sherwood’s ‘sound system’ take on the original sessions. Featuring new tracks; radical dancehall re-works with MC interjections from Daddy Freddy and Lone Ranger; and stripped back instrumental version excursions in classic dub reggae style.

Continuing the series that Sherwood began with Heavy Rain, his re-working of Lee “Scratch” Perry’s Rainford album, Midnight Scorchers is both an essential sequel to Midnight Rocker as well as being a powerful album in its own right.

4 Likes

Super excited by this one, sounds great already the first album from earlier this year was brilliant.

1 Like

A bit let down by No Age and Crack Cloud tbh

This is what I’ve thought about everything since Nouns but keep going back.

I seem to have less patience when I’m listening to new things when I’m driving which is bad because I can’t change it on my phone but this one kinda started to annoy me by track 4

been enjoying this in the sunshine this afternoon, lovely floaty Balearica from Poland

Polish duo Jazxing present their debut album ‘Pearls of the Baltic Sea’, eight original tracks that pay homage to the ‘80s Cosmic Classics found on Daniele Baldelli`s mixtapes and early ‘90s Balearic pop. Drawing from everyday life on the Baltic coast, the duo bring an edge to influences from inspirations such as Saint Etienne, Andrew Weatherall and Air via alternative deviations through New Wave, Post Punk, and Dub.

6 Likes

Eliza - A Sky Without Stars
Only listened to the one track so far, but this seems to be indebted to D’Angelo/Erykah Badu-style very-early-00s minimalist RnB:

that sleeve art reminds me a lot of Tarantel’s From Bone To Satellite (which is over twenty years old and not really eligible for this thread)

Suede, Death Cab, and Rina for me. Spoilt!

Heard a promo of that Beths album months ago but I’m still not that keen on them.

Nyati Mayi & The Astral Synth Transmitters - Lulanga Tales

put this in the best album art thread as soon as I saw it, having a listen now and it’s fantastic. Not really heard afro synth music done like this before, kinda choppy and moody. Will be playing it a lot I think

3 Likes

Lou Reed - Words & Music, May 1965

Very early acoustic demos of some Velvet Underground and solo tracks.

New Rina is mega! Wtf

Afghan Whigs comfortably led the poll last week, then Preoccupations and Sudan Archives tied for second.

What did you enjoy this week?

• Al-Qasar - Who Are We?
  • All Structures Align - Distance And Departure
  • Authentically Plastic - Raw Space
  • Blood Orange - Four Songs
  • Brazos
  • Butcher Brown - Butcher Brown Presents Triple Trey
  • Clutch - Sunrise on Slaughter Beach
  • Cosey Fanni Tutti – Delia Derbyshire: The Myths And The Legendary Tapes
  • Crack Cloud - Tough Baby
  • Daniela Lalita - Trececerotres
  • Daniele Luppi - Charm of Pleasure
  • Death Cab for Cutie - Asphalt Meadows
  • Dominique A - Le Monde Réel
  • Earth Crisis - Vegan For The Animals EP
  • Ela Minus/DJ Python
  • Eliza - A Sky Without Stars
  • Elizabete Balčus - Hotel Universe
  • Gloria de Oliveira - Oceans of Time
  • Gogol Bordello - Solidaritine
  • Guinu - Palagô
  • Henry Franklin, Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge - Jazz is Dead Volume 14
  • Horace Andy - Midnight Scorchers
  • House of Love - State of Grace
  • Jazxing - Pearls of the Baltic Sea
  • Jennifer Loveless - Around The World
  • Jesca Hoop - Order of Romance
  • Jonsi, Sin Fang, Alex Somers, Kjartan Holm - Sounds Of Fischer Vol. 1
  • Jorg Kuning - Chosta-del-sol
  • Klangstoff - Godspeed To The Freaks
  • Knobs - Stipple
  • Laundromat - En Bloc
  • Little Dragon - Opening The Door
  • Lou Reed - Words & Music, May 1965
  • Lukah - Raw Extractions
  • Marcus Mumford - (self-titled)
  • Marina Allen - centrifics
  • Mark Peters - Red Sunset Dreams
  • Molly Lewis - Mirage
  • Mura Masa - Demon Time
  • No Age - People Helping People
  • No Devotion - No Oblivion
  • Noah Cyrus - The Hardest Part
  • Nyati Mayi & The Astral Synth Transmitters - Lulanga Tales
  • Ondara - Spanish Villager No. 3
  • Pina Pilau - Illusion
  • Pink Siifu & Real Bad Man - Real Bad Flights
  • Quinn Christopherson - Write Your Name In Pink
  • Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl
  • saaaz - want you
  • Suede - Autofiction
  • Tenka & Meitei - Hydration
  • The Beths - Expert In A Dying Field
  • The Black Angels - Wilderness of Mirrors
  • The Mars Volta - The Mars Volta
  • The Murlocs - Rapscallion
  • Various Artists - Rajada (Windy Sounds from Aveiro)
  • Veins Full of Static - Disintegrating Contours
  • Vic Spencer & August Fanon - Psychological Cheat Sheet 3
  • Victoria Canal - Elegy
  • VTSS - Circulus Vitiosus EP
  • Well Wisher - That Weight
  • Whitney - SPARK
  • Young Jesus - Shepherd Head
0 voters
1 Like

Absolutely loving the Young Jesus album, definitely up with my favourites of the year.

And the Pina Pilau album is a beautiful little gem too. For fans for Lomelda and lovely indie folk.

1 Like