New releases 17/01/20

Oh yes

Trail of Dead and Pinegrove for me.

As said in their own thread, I’ve no idea how to judge a ToD album anymore. It sounds like ToD. It might be good, it might be bad. I can’t tell.

Pinegrove sounds good. It also sounds like Pinegrove. Some nice touches with the ambient run-out at the album’s end and some good quieter songs.

Think this is the most enjoyable Of Montreal album I’ve heard since False Priest. That opinion based purely on the fact that I can’t remember anything about the albums being that and this. Will definitely get a second place.

Oh, Spotify has just done that thing where it keeps things going by playing associated songs when the album has finished. “Suffer For Fashion” is such a banger. They’re never going to hit the heights of Hissing Fauna again are they?

2 Likes

Yeah, Death Spells is something I can just stick on and get lost in. Didn’t realise I hadn’t heard Realms so got that on now too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tis only after one listen but there are 4 or 5 tracks I remember being pretty darn good. I really liked the one about not wanting to die in America.

I still think the album that came out 2 years ago, the name escapes me, was fantastic mind.

2 Likes

Eminem. Lol.

3 Likes

Holy Fawn and Algiers for me.

Strong week: Bill Fay, Keeley Forsyth and Pinegrove are the main ones but plenty of others to dip into.
Love Bill Fay - perfect music for frosty morning riverside walks or runs in my experience - guess mild, wet and windy will have to do

Holy Fuck! The Holy Fuck album is good!

2 Likes

Is it? Are u sure u just didn’t want to do a funny?

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve heard this said about every Of Montreal album since False Priest. Dare I give it a go?

Best Of Montreal album;

• 1997 Cherry Peel (Bar/None)
  • 1998 The Bedside Drama: A Petite Tragedy (Kindercore)
  • 1999 The Gay Parade (Bar/None)
  • 2001 Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse (Kindercore)
  • 2002 Aldhils Arboretum (Kindercore)
  • 2004 Satanic Panic in the Attic (Polyvinyl)
  • 2005 The Sunlandic Twins (Polyvinyl)
  • 2007 Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (Polyvinyl, No. 72 US)
  • 2008 Skeletal Lamping (Polyvinyl, No. 38 US)
  • 2010 False Priest (Polyvinyl, No. 34 US)
  • 2012 Paralytic Stalks (Polyvinyl, No. 121 US)
  • 2013 Lousy With Sylvianbriar (Polyvinyl, No. 115 US)
  • 2015 Aureate Gloom (Polyvinyl)
  • 2016 Innocence Reaches (Polyvinyl)
  • 2018 White Is Relic/Irrealis Mood (Polyvinyl)
  • 2020 Ur Fun (Polyvinyl)[28]

0 voters

It’s only 40 minutes long. Go on, dive in. It’s fun.

Standard plea for people to please say something about albums they’re listing / linking to, especially where they’re from new or more obscure artists. Even a vague idea of genre/style is so helpful!

23 Likes

Just remembered I used to have “Fun Lovin Nun” as my alarm. One of the many reasons my ex dumped me.

1 Like

Struggle to think of a band with a higher ratio of “stuff I absolutely love” to “stuff I will never, ever listen to”

But that stuff I love… maaaaan it’s good

2 Likes

As if there’s actually an album called “Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse”. Not even Kevin Barnes would do that.

3 Likes

Holy Fuck is so good.

2 Likes

Don’t you mean lower ratio?