New Releases 17 Jun 2022

What you listening to?

I have been listening to Perfume Genius’ Ugly Season on the way to the train and it seems special. Excited to work through it on the commute!

7 Likes

Looking forward to listening to the new Alison Cotton

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to Yaya Bey. Brooklyn singer-songwriter moves gracefully through jazz, R&B, soul, and reggae.

Yaya Bey - Remember Your North Star

Intriguing new compilation…

Various Artists - Borga Revolution! Ghanaian Dance Music In The Digital Age, 1983​-​1992 (Volume 1)

5 Likes

TV Priest - My Other People
Post punky indie as is the style at the time (the time being now)

FFO: bands you’ll hear in 2025 and go “yeah that’s a real 2021 / 2022 sounding band”

4 Likes

Crake - Humans’ Worst Habits

Alt folk/Americana-y stuff from Leeds. Supported Big Thief back in 2019 so I’m sure some of you will be familiar. Pretty similar to Big Thief and the quieter, tender Neil Young moments with a possible touch of Low in there. Been looking forward to this since I heard Winter’s Song back in January

4 Likes

Lit - Tastes Like Gold
Late 90s alt rockers who definitely have more than one hit

FFO: Summer 1999, brothel creepers (the shoes, not the sex tourists), bands whose members are essentially just four of Matthew McConaughey’s character in Dazed And Confused

5 Likes

New album from Executioner’s Mask. Had no idea this was coming until I got the Bandcamp email this morning. I loved the 2020 debut Despair Anthem’s dour goth tinged post punk.

3 Likes

A new side project / collab from Hiss Golden Messenger.

“…the album is a deep meditation on community that caroms from root-down avant-funk and spiritual groove to solitary cosmic minimalism and twinkling dubby ambience.”

3 Likes

Anteloper - Pink Dolphins

Psychedelic nu-jazz on the ever-reliable International Anthems label from Jaimie Branch and Jason Nazary’s side project, with Jeff Parker joining them. Listed as an EP but it’s 37 minutes long…

6 Likes

Foals - Life Is Yours
The hottest band of 2004 back with their thirtieth album or whatever

FFO: the middle of the day at Glastonbury’s second stage, dancing to the song Balloons at a provincial indie club night

Interesting ep from anteloper

3 Likes

Oops, sorry I edited my accidental cross-post from the sizzling bangers thread into this exact recommendation at the same time you posted. Definitely one of the highlights this week so no harm repeatedly reminding people of it.

2 Likes

Another nice one

2 Likes

Sounds interesting on a quick skim

2 Likes

Ohh this is sounding great for a summer morning

1 Like

Auntie Flo & Sarathy Korwar - Shruti Dances

Scottish-Goan global fusion electronic producer and former SAY award winner and Indian-raised, London-based jazz drummer/composer collaborate on a short album of hypnotic rhythmic drones and beats.

7 Likes

Sounds like complete fluff but already absolutely loving it with the weather outside. After 9pm tonight I’ll probably never listen to it again

1 Like

New album from rapper best known for his work as part of Armand Hammer.

E L U C I D - I Told Bessie

1 Like

New Nova Twins

1 Like

Reworkings by some familiar names of Tirzah’s excellent Colourgrade LP - alt RnB type thing

1 Like