New Releases 19/11/21

Everyone is trying very hard to not mention Adele so,

Adele.

1 Like

This is so fucking good.

1 Like

Can you give a brief description of the type of music the artist makes so we can decide whether to give it a listen or not?

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

8 Likes

Daxma.
Post metal.

2 Likes

Oops, already posted

1 Like

Jessica Moss - violinist and frequent collaborator with lots of Canadian acts like Mt. Zion.

Beautifully mangled cello from Resina

3 Likes

Beach Fossils have recorded jazz piano reinterpretations of some of their songs.

The few advance tracks i’ve heard have been great.

Fred Again… Has a sequal to his excellent Actual Life album from earlier this year.

3 Likes

Absolutely loved that album. Wish I could get into the gig next week.

I have a new track out on this Petite Victory Collective compilation out today. It’s themed around water and ice. Digital and cassette release, all proceeds going to Nordic Ocean Watch.

Some great stuff on here. Mixture of experimental and chilled electronica verging into melodic house and techno.

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s been selling out in milliseconds. Would love to see him.

Only ones yet to be mentionned above I’ll be checking:

Ovlov’s new LP Buds - will hopefully be more of their scuzzy indie-rock goodness
and a jazz pick to go alongside the McCraven one:
Malcolm Jiyane Tree-O - Umdali

PS I have to credit Mojo magazine for many good jazz picks this year. I am sure there are other publications closer to the heartbeat of the scene but their reviews section has alerted me to many things this year - there are about 7 jazz records in my top 40 LPs of the year which is way more than usual…

5 Likes

Ha beat me to it… I’ll chuck in the spotify link as my contribution to the thread

4 Likes

Along with Richie who also called this release out, I too had Myele Manzanza on my list for today, glad its getting attention. So far loving it as much as Vol 1. I really liked the quote on how they appraoch each session:-

His quartet use “a style affectionately known as the ‘Welli Jam’. Just get a groove going with a few basic chords and let the music go wherever it goes. As I had been bashing my head into a brick wall trying to ‘compose’ music, I realized that I could just say, ‘f**k it. I trust these musicians. If I give them the space, then they’ll be able to fill it with good ideas’”

1 Like

Still making my way through last weeks releases too today, so it’ll be a busy one; prepare for a load of hearts on both from me. =]

Bev Lee Harling - Little Anchor - Alt Pop Folk
A violinist from the UK who just released her second album 9 years since the excellent, Barefoot In Your Kitchen. The followup tells her experience as a parent and features the excellent composer Frank Moon throughout. On first listen, my personal highlights so far being Lay Down In The Tall Grass & This Violin String.

J.R.C.G. - Ajo Sunshine - Post Punk? Psych Electro Rock?
A band from Tacoma and their sound definintly stems from that music scene. Blown out guitars and thumping beats layered with sullen lyrics. Only 3 tracks available so far so looking forward to the full release described as “heralded by an alarming horn ensemble, stabbing with the dramatic urgency of a killer’s theme in a midnight movie”

Courtesy - Check the Milk - Electro Funk
A duo hailing from Chicago, I really enjoyed their 2011 album, Idmatic. The 2 tracks currently available for their new release are sounding excellent. Quirky but funky, they are abosolutely for anyone who is a fan of Beck.

Sam Redmore - On The One - DJ + Big Brass Band
DJ from Birmingham who released a double A-Side single vinyl today with 2 tracks from the last 2 months. Both singles are fun and upbeat, so I’m looking forward to the album due May 2022. His BBC 6 Music guest mix was excellent and worth checking out too if you like this.

3 Likes

Between You & Me - Armageddon

Infectious pop punk from Australia

1 Like

This sounds quite decent on a quick skip through…maybe for fans of 1975 or Phoenix

Excellent Norwegion guitarist with ace Jazz band

3 Likes

Converge, Maybeshewill and these two, Swiss & German atmospheric bm;

Alewya - Panther In Mode EP

Championed by Jamz Supernova and previous Little Simz collaborator, Alewya has this excellent EP out today, electronic beats with Ethopian and Arabic influences.

3 Likes