New Releases 19/2/2021

This guy is everywhere right now! and mostly good. The Muzz album was a bit poo.

Another fantastic album to add to the slew of great releases today:

Debut from Australian singer Indigo Sparke – sparse, guitar-driven songs that feel at once intimate & like they were recorded in a desert. Produced by Adrianne Lenker. Really stunning record.

2 Likes

New Kid Congo and the pink monkey birds EP Swing from the Sean delear released today.

1 Like

Cassandra Jenkins and Mogwai has been an.amazing twofer this Friday. Loving them both.

Another fan of the Cassandra Jenkins album. Wasn’t quite as blown away by Hard Drive as many on here when I first heard it a few weeks ago, but in the context of the whole album all of it works so well together.

1 Like

Really great, forgot this was also out today!

1 Like

That Tape Runs Out album is really good. Indie with touches of shoegazing and electronica.

2 Likes

New album from Snowpoet is out today. Bit folky, bit jazzy. First album was very good.

Snowpoet, the evocative, adventurous London based band led by the writing duo of Jazz FM Vocalist of the Year (2016) Lauren Kinsella and multi-instrumentalist Chris Hyson.

Born out of deep a musical friendship and a mutual understanding, their acclaimed eponymous debut Snowpoet won rave reviews and a devoted audience for their compelling sound, drawing comparisons with Björk and Goldfrapp. Thought You Knew (2018) took their musical collaboration and sound to the next level, blending sweet hook-laden vocal lines with warm and lush arrangements. 2021’s Wait For Me smashes the boundaries once again and looks set to be their defining record.

1 Like

Actually like overwhelmed by the amount of incredible music that has been released today. I’m on 9 albums and counting. Best week of the year by far

6 Likes

I don’t really expect too much from Tindersticks these days either, but I thought it was okay. The first and last tracks are great, especially the jittery, hypnotic ‘Man Alone’ (they need to take risks like this more often), but unfortunately there’s just too much filler in the middle. That said, I’m already enjoying it more than ‘No Treasure But Hope’ - I’m surprised anyone likes Pinky in the Daylight as that song is so corny it’s almost nauseating. Second only to Peanuts for me in terms of Tindersticks duds.

Thought the Cassandra Jenkins album on first listen when pottering around the flat was good but not great.

Gave it two more listens whilst out walking in the warmish sunny weather. It is actually excellent.

6 Likes

Been a long time since we had a really decent Tindersticks album. Still, you never know…

OK I could have waited a few more minutes and actually posted some opinion on it but never mind. Too excited at the thought of a new Tindersticks album for some reason.

Fucking hell the first song goes on forever. It feels almost like a departure (probably a good thing), but it is really, really shit on a first listen. I had to skip it I was getting so fed up with it.

2nd song - well it’s sending me to sleep a little. I could do without the spoken word bits to be honest. Umm… no. Had to skip that one too after a while. I tolerated the 3rd one for a bit and, no fuck it… that’s more than enough of that.

Elsewhere, Mogwai sounded OK on the first couple of goes. Although most Mogwai albums these days sound OK. Another 6 or 7 out of 10 I guess.

Liking the sound of Cassandra Jenkins and Wild Pink - definitely worth spending some more time there.

It reminds me Destroyer’s Kaputt, which really made sense to me when I listened to it on headphones while sitting in a sunny park with a beer, cannot wait to do that with this album.

Gave me more of a julia holter vibe.

It’s great.

1 Like

Q1. How have Kid Congo and Calexico not collaborated yet?
Q2. When are we getting the Floating Points remix of this?

They just emailed me to say they were out of stock on this and restocking this week. Did you get manage to get one? I ordered early Friday morning as well, guess it’s done well for them. Hope they get the coloured vinyl back in.

Thanks for that Valley Maker. Enjoyed it a lot on the first listen. Sounds like more traditional Kurt Vile to me sometimes.

I’ve never listened to calexico. Is there a connection to kid congo?

Both are based out of Tucson and mine similar influences to very different results.

1 Like