New Releases 19/2/2021

Both are based out of Tucson and mine similar influences to very different results.

1 Like

Talons’ just released a new album “New Nightmares” that follows from last year’s excellent “Make America Again” on Bandcamp

Should be great

3 Likes

Thanks. Having a listen now.

Enjoying this!

1 Like

I’m getting Samaris vibes.

1 Like

Colemine Records put out a compilation - Brighter Days Ahead

FFO: Lee Fields, Charles Bradley, Sharon Jones, Daptone Records

In playlist form -

Another crossover , Cassandra Jenkins does backing vocals on the Hold Steady album.

Edit quoted the wrong comment : should have been a reply to the one about Josh Kaufman producing both the Hold Steady and Jenkins albums.

2 Likes

grrrr

Hey there,
Unfortunately we’ve just heard back from the supplier regarding the Cassandra Jenkins record and it looks like they’re no longer able to fulfil our order for this which, in turn, means that we’re unable to provide it for you.
I’m very sorry about this.
We have heard that there’s going to be a repress a little later in the year, potentially on a different colour format, but haven’t been given any details in terms of when this is likely to emerge so, in all honesty, it’s probably going to be a little while yet.

1 Like

yep, also got this. The Discogs scalpers are going to be rubbing their hands in glee…

1 Like

This thread! I’d definitely not have heard of Cassandra Jenkins, Katy Kirby or Adeline Hotel, but I’m loving all three!

3 Likes

Got the same email from Resident. She says on her Bandcamp that it’s being repressed on purple vinyl in May. Sold out there but there will presumable be distro copies (pre-order as soon as they go on sale).

1 Like

Not feeling the uberlove of Cassandra Jenkins like some of you are. Is it a lyric thing? I don’t pay much attention to lyrics most of the time, so some stuff that gets lots of praise tends to pass me by. The music is perfectly pleasant but does blend into the background after a while so it hasn’t really grabbed me much. That last instrumental track is lovely stuff, though.

1 Like

Lyrics are a huge part of the appeal, as they are excellent. But tbh I think it stands up musically too. Really focused, melodic acoustic indie for the most part. Some of it sounds a bit like Aimee Mann to me, Ambiguous Norway could be a great SWB-era National track, and Hard Drive is really just its own amazing thing. Have only played whole way through maybe 3 times but all the main melodies are already firmly implanted in my head which is a pretty good sign for me.

Actually feel like the last track is the worst thing about it by far. Feels like it’s been tacked on the end to get it over the 30-minute mark. Hasn’t left a mark at all.

1 Like

there’s a third pressing on her bandcamp now! Baby blue vinyl this time. £22 shipping to the UK though - I’ll wait for the distro copies

1 Like

Hah! Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

1 Like

You know what time it is folks!

Django Django, God is an Astronaut and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah were the top picks last week. What did you love this week?

• 4 Mars - Super Somali Sounds from the Gulf of Tadjoura
  • Adeline Hotel - Good Timing
  • Another New Thing - XYZZY
  • Aukai - Entretanto
  • Camera - Prosthuman
  • Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview On Phenomenal Nature
  • Colemine Records - Brighter Days Ahead
  • Ex:Re - Ex:Re with 12 Ensemble
  • Fire! - Defeat
  • Frederik Valentin - 11000
  • Ghetts - Conflict Of Interest
  • Giant Swan - Do Not Be Afraid Of Tenderness
  • Hand Habits - dirt
  • Indigo Sparke - Echo
  • Katy Kirby - Cool Dry Place
  • Kid Congo & The Pink Monkey Birds - Swing From The Sean Delear
  • Lael Neale - Acquainted with Night
  • Mogwai - As The Love Continues
  • MueseuM (@Kallgeese) - DONTNOD
  • Pauline Anna Strom - Angel Tears in Sunlight
  • Psymon Spine - Charismatic Megafauna
  • Rupture // Rapture (@rupturerapture) - More Than
  • Senyawa - Alkisah
  • Snowpoet - Wait For Me
  • Steve Moore - Analog Sensitivity
  • Tape Runs Out - Ghost Fruit
  • The Hold Steady - Open Door Policy
  • Tindersticks - Distractions
  • Valley Maker - When the Day Leaves
  • Wild Pink - A Billion Little Lights
  • Your Old Droog - Tha YOD Fahim

0 voters

2 Likes

Hmm, a funny week. I think I’ve probably been the problem, not the new releases, but I wasn’t really feeling the albums I tried, even Another New Thing which I’d been very much looking forward to. Thought Mogwai was pretty good, Cassandra Jenkins and Katy Kirby fine, wasn’t even taken with Pauline Anna Strom and Snowpoet, both very much my kinda thing. Like I say, probably my bad week rather than the music.

Having said that, off the recommendation from @Gert upthread, I had a listen to 4 Mars - Super Somali Sounds and it is absolutely terrific and cheered me right up, so thanks for that suggestion (and for all the others - I love these threads).

1 Like

Give the Frederik Valentin EP a go, if you haven’t already (and the first part of that EP from a couple of weeks ago - not sure why it wasn’t just made into an album!). It’s been one of my favourite things this month. A few different nice guest vocalists, and great music

2 Likes

Thank you - I haven’t already, so I will!

1 Like

Hahaha idiot