New Releases 19 Aug 22

Big day!

First off, why don’t you Get Fucked

(Noisy garage punk from Australia. FFO: Smoko)

New Mountain Goats

Last couple of albums have slipped by me but this sounds good on first listen. FFO: The Mountain Goats:

New Hot Chip will no doubt be on many radars today

CLAMM - Care Noise-Punk from Melbourne

What else have you got?

10 Likes

Dawnwalker

11 Likes

Oneida - Success

6 Likes

Woah, Oneida are still going.

4 Likes

Cass McCombs - Heartmind

New one from the brilliant US alt-country singer-songwriter.

Russian Circles - Gnosis

8th album from the Chicago post-rock instrumentalists.

8 Likes

There’s a new Silversun Pickups album out.

2 Likes

Die Welttraumforscher - Liederbuch
Heard these via @BMS1 a while ago I think. My notes say that they are a German language version of Casiotone For The Painfully Alone.

Anna Tivel - Outsiders
And this one I found from @stickboy posting about a live album of hers last year. Looking forward to listening to a proper non-live album. Lovely voice and music.

Au Suisse - Au Suisse
“Immersive Soundscapes Using A Patchwork Of Electro, Synthpop, Funk And Disco”, debut album on City Slang.

Nand- Sonnenmilch EP
German synthy poppy trumpetty jazzy sort of mix of sounds.

Phoebe Green - Lucky Me
Manchester electro-poppy artist.

Gordi - Inhuman EP
Australian singer-songwriter, with a bit of synthy sounds and nice music. Quite like this.

Yann Tiersen - Avant La Chute EP
A re-release of a hard-to-get EP of his from 25 years ago, so some nice traditional Yann Tiersen sounding Yann Tiersen songs.

6 Likes

Blacklab - In A Bizarre Dream

The ‘doom witch duo from Osaka’. I loved the Black-Sabbath-meets-Stereolab lead single which featured Laetitia Sadier on vocals. Looking forward to the rest.

Various Artists (Milk! Records Projects) - Here And There: B​-​Sides, Live Tracks + Demos

In conjunction with Here And There Festival and Milk! Records, Courtney Barnett has curated a limited-edition compilation to raise money for organisations supporting reproductive justice in the USA.

Featuring Courtney Barnett, Sleater-Kinney, Julia Jacklin, Faye Webster, The Beths, Caroline Rose, Bedouine and Hana Vu.

Why Bonnie - 90 In November

“Shoegazeicana” from Austin, Texas. Lot of 90s indie rock influences going on here.

LIFE - North East Coastal Town

Spiky post-punk third album from the Hull band

THICK - Happy Now

New York DIY garage rock

Since forming in 2014, THICK have triumphed at turning the harshest truths into wildly exhilarating punk songs. On their second album, Happy Now, vocalist/guitarist Nikki Sisti, vocalist/bassist Kate Black, and vocalist/drummer Shari Page deliver their most complex and confessional work yet, exploring everything from self-sabotage and insecurity to victim-blaming and destructive relationships. It’s raw, irreverent, and brutally honest. Happy Now offers both joyful catharsis and much-needed instruction for living well in turbulent times.

https://louderthanwar.com/thick-happy-now-album-review/

Also, the previously mentioned Phoebe Green, Anna Tivel and Russian Circles.

7 Likes

Beat me to the draw. Should be excellent

2 Likes

New Szun Waves album out today!

Luke abbot’s side project……

9 Likes

Spielbergs. Someone on here turned me on to them. First album was great and they’re a load of fun live so I’ll be checking this out first today i think.

10 Likes

Listening to Life now, have really liked the singles so far.

1 Like

Germain Bourque - Tour de Piste

Circus music. Thought this would be my interesting curio of the week that I had a brief flick through and then moved on, but it’s got a bit more about it. This is music composed for European circus performances, it feels like a film soundtrack album, and it’s got a surprising amount of emotional heft.

1 Like

Szun Waves as mentioned ^

Only other one on my radar is the new one by 4AD/Cocteau Twins loving SRSQ. Bombastic 80s style gothy synth pop. Loved her last album, so interested to see where this one goes…

5 Likes

Is excellent

1 Like

Conan

FFO: Doom, stoner metal, guitars tuned to C

Kirinji

FFO: light, bright, breezy Japanese indie-dance-pop

1 Like

Hot Chip and Conan for me this week.

Might play the Yann Tiersen reissue if the evening heads in a mellow direction.

Aye go on then

6 Likes

Damn what a glut of releases today

1 Like

Terence etc album is decent