New Releases 20/04/18

Is it a cover of the Cure song?

not that I can tell but I’m not very familiar with the Cure

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Just listened to it - it is a cover of the Cure song (and a very good one). You should listen to the (fantastic) original.

4 Likes

This is nice. Got an air of that slow, blisses out To La Tengo feel to it in places.

2 Likes

This was the only release I was planning on investigating this week. Glad to hear it’s good.

New Galaxians EP.

There’s a new Blanck Mass single. Nice.

1 Like

RSD release innit.

1 Like

Agreed, enjoying it. Playing Manc in June which I will probably investigate.

Edit: didn’t correctly read the post this was a reply to. Oops.

Blanck Mass are playing with Hookworms later this year, which will be awesome.

Not sure the new DRINKS release Hippo Lite has been mentioned yet. I am enjoying this collab. between Tim Presley of White Fence and Cate Le Bon. Probably my favourite release this week, of those I have taken a listen to so far.

A description you say? well, how about this from Allmusic, for elucidation. Sums it up pretty well:

The album finds the pair in the same mood and working in the same off-kilter prog-folk-psych vein. It’s both more accomplished and looser than Hermits, with songs that show how intertwined their styles of playing and writing have become. One of the joys to be found in their collaboration is how nice their vocals sound when they sing together; both the acid-folk-with-typewriters “Blue from the Dark” and “Greasing Up” illustrate just how well Presley’s muffled croon and Le Bon’s trilling soprano complement each other. The first record felt a bit like a first date; this one sounds like the work of a longstanding couple. They weave together instrumental transmissions built around their strangled guitars, lengthy songs that twitch and twist excitedly (“Corner Shops,” “Pink or Die”), rollicking art rock (“Leave the Lights On”), clattering experimental work (“Ducks”), and even an almost poppy tune (“Real Outside”) along the way to crafting a challenging, confusing, complex, and confident second album.”

Apologies @WizardLizard - I see you did mention DRINKS upthread. Enjoying it. As recompense, let me suggest my other go to release this week - Exitmusic’s The Recognitions (emotional, ethereal dream pop?)

1 Like

Kimbra - Primal Heart

Imma is the standout track, really, really good.

The cover of A Forest is good, but nothing like as good as the original. Weirdly, the first track on the EP isn’t all that great at all.

No worries at all :slightly_smiling_face: - just added your recommendation to today’s queue. Not familiar with any of the bands catalogue but it sounds right up my street - cheers! Will report back in a bit.

Allmusic’s summary of Hippo Lite is fairly spot on indeed! It’s certainly displays more confidence but retains the quirks and intrigue that drew me into Hermits On Holiday. Their vocal styles and performances really compliment each others too!

For fans of A Perfect Circle who felt let down by the new album, I definitely recommend checking out these new releases:

TesseracT - Sonder

Awooga - Conduit