New Releases 24/07/20

Always underwhelmed by Phoebe Bridger’s solo stuff (i loved Boygenius and keep wanting more in that vein), but desite the comparison also going to check out Skullcrusher purely for the good taste she shows in her artist playlists on Spotify (Susumu Yokota, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Skee Mask…)

Yayyy Jessy Lanza :partying_face: I am having a GOOD TIME with this album

2 Likes

If you like Berlin techno that packs an industrial punch (think Paula Temple’s album from last year) then you could do worse than this new album from Nicolas Bougaïeff

2 Likes

There’s a new Loraine James EP out on streaming too which she released earlier this month on bandcamp, it’s really great.

Lol Hammond (once of The Drum Club) has an album with Duncan Forbes out today called Who Will Stop The Robots? It’s lovely blissed out shoegaze with 808s, perfect for a summer afternoon, or even an overcast one like what we are having in Bristol right now

2 Likes

Kamaal Williams album is excellent.
Damaged bug - Yonkers album arrived in the post today. I’ve give that a spin this afternoon too and it’s also excellent

1 Like

Asher Gamedze is brilliant. Can’t get enough of it.

1 Like

Neurotic Fiction - Romance EP

Final tracks from the Bristol-based band, full of frantic hook filled post-punk with elements of garage, indie pop and surf.

I don’t feel I should like the Courtney Marie Andrews album as much as I do.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, my The Soft Pink Truth CD arrived today

1 Like

As did mine, the bung in the system must have been released!

Good to have it though didn’t realise the physical release is 2 x 20 minute tracks (rather than the tracks being all separated like on Spotify)!

1 Like

Is not really the sort of record you’d skip tracks on I guess…

Really enjoying the Sparkle Division album. Worth a look just for the cover.

https://sparkledivision.bandcamp.com/album/to-feel-embraced

1 Like

The Katie Dey album is a perfect counterbalance to this grey crappy day, so much colour and energy. Think I found her last album too warped, or didn’t get on with the production, but this is ace

1 Like

It’s wonderful isn’t it, good grey day music.

ftfy

2 Likes

A new Christina Vantzou appeared on Spotify on 20th July.
Not heard it yet - just found out about it.
FFO: Grouper

2 Likes

Hello hello hello

Protomartyr, Jarvis and Crack Cloud were ahead last week. What banged the most this week?

• Asher Gamedze - Dialectic Soul (blends free jaz with South African protest music)
  • Christina Vantzou - Multi Natural (FFO Grouper)
  • Cinder Well - The Cuckoo (Dark American trad folk)
  • Colin Mawson (@Bamnan) - Even Lamps Need Love
  • Courtney Marie Andrews - Old Flowers (Country)
  • Damaged Bug - Bug on Yonkers
  • Dan Michaelson - Colourfield
  • Daniel Crompton - From Perpetuity (Alzheimer’s Society) (manipulated field recordings ft. @Twinkletoes and @worrier1)
  • Devendra Banhart - Vast Ovoid
  • Gaerea - Limbo (post black metal)
  • Gulch - Impenetrable Cerebral Fortress
  • Jess Cornelius - Distance (Australian indie)
  • Jessy Lanza - All The Time
  • John Foxx And The Maths - Howl
  • Jon Hassell - Seeing Through Sound (Pentimento Volume Two) (FFO densely textured ambient music)
  • Kamaal Williams - Wu Hen (cool jazz stuff)
  • Katie Dey - Mydata (Australian experimental pop)
  • Laurence Pike - Prophecy (Australian drummer/electronic musician)
  • Liza Anne - Bad Vacation (FFO Phoebe Bridgers)
  • Lol Hammond, Duncan Forbes - Who Will Stop The Robots?
  • Loraine James - Hmm
  • Neck Deep - All Distortions Are Intentional (pop punk stuff)
  • Neurotic Fiction - Romance EP (hook filled post-punk with elements of garage, indie pop and surf)
  • Nicolas Bougaïeff - The Upward Spiral (Berlin techno with an industrial punch)
  • PJ Harvey - Dry - Demos
  • Shirley Collins - Heart’s Ease (A very English kind of folk)
  • Skullcrusher - Skullcrusher (FFO Phoebe Bridgers)
  • SPARKLE DIVISION - To Feel Embraced (electronics/jazz/disco with William Basinski on sax)
  • Taylor Swift - folklore
  • The Blinders - Fantasies of A Stay At Home Psycopath (bit of lad rock for the lads)
0 voters
1 Like

I know what you mean here. Think I’ve listened to it at least twice a day for the past week. The songwriting is just so good. Reminds me a lot of Laura Cantrell - Not the trembling kind.