New Releases 24/08

Enjoying Olafur - not always on board with the modern-classical side of ambient, but this is good

He put out a live album yesterday. Bandcamp only from what I can see.

1 Like

He in particular never seems to falter, while some other players in the genre can be a little staid.

Just finished my first play and am surprised at the overall run time, many of the tracks could have easily been double the length. Possibly it is his ability to edit down tracks rather than drag them out that differentiates him from his peers.
I’ll certainly need a few more spins, but enjoyed it.

1 Like

Gives them more of an ephemeral quality

1 Like

It’s the recording of the drums that’s putting me off, I think. It all sounds a bit tinny, but especially the drums.

Yeah, production is a bit weird. Tunes just sound a bit tired to me as well. Like there was an ‘energy’ to El Pintor which, for me, is lacking here.

Think it starts off ok, but after track three I got right bored.

Anyway, all about Whitney Ballen for me today

Their downward trajectory from Our Love To Admire (which I loved) or arguably TOTBL, is quite astonishing really. Typically a couple of great tracks on the latter releases then just nothing for me.
Will dive into Marauder today, but not hugely excited at the prospect.

Though it has reminded me how great this track is/was.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks!

The opener of White Denim’s new-ie has some serious T-Rex vibes and the vocals on the title track weirdly remind me of Dan Auerbach which is all fine by me.

1 Like

I normally prefer his stuff when it’s more modern-classical than ambient but the beat driven stuff on this one is actually really good.

1 Like

Ah, it is on Spotify et al, just under 4TLR, rather than Four Tet for some reason.

2 Likes

Im glad they’ve gone more murky and jerky than Stiff. This is obviously stuffed with hooks and good vibes but they’ll need a little more digging to get familiar with

1 Like

Enjoying Olafur lots

1 Like

This is stunning. Suddenly, I don’t miss Majical Cloudz as much!

2 Likes

Haven’t heard this yet but a new album on Flau featuring Noah, who is great

Nah it’s on the auld streaming services too. It’s under the name ‘4TLR’

1 Like

Hmm Lemon Twigs have gone full blown rock opera with this one. Like 3/4 of the album is pretty much show tune-ville… not my cup of tea really