New Releases 25/06/2021

What an incredible run Tyler’s on.

Thought I was getting through my list of new things to listen to, but after last week and now this one I’ve got another 30 hours to get through. Not including all the stuff I’ve already lined up for more attention such as Lucy Dacas, Mountain Goats, John Grant, Modest Mouse…

John Grant tends to make the occasional song I absolutely love, but mostly not so much. Never really got on with any of his albums. This one does sound pretty solid so far, though.

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble was lovely on first listen too - even the dodgy vocals on the first track (Moses Sumney?) couldn’t spoil it.

Was released on the 20th of June, so i guess falls into this week, absolute power keg of a hip-hop record with massive extreme metal influence.

4 Likes

I was hoping to whizz through the playlist and knock a few things off, but made the mistake of choosing Lightning Bug. What a fantastic album this is!! And now I’m going to have to check out the previous album. So no progress made at all.

It’s my favourite album of the week so far.

1 Like

Brilliant album. I tried sneaking it into last week’s thread, but technically I think you might be right!

I did include it in last week’s poll, where it currently finds itself in 11th place. Happy to include it in this week’s poll too as it’s an inbetweener.

1 Like

The Throwing Snow LP is winning my album I didn’t think I’d like as much as I actually do award this week. Damn good.

1 Like

I wasn’t that excited for it but it’s really good. :smiley:

1 Like

It’s really fuckong good
That song in particular is a certified banger

Various artists - La fête de la musique (Dur et Doux Compilation 2021)

Compilation of experimental and avant garde offerings from the Lyon-based artist collective and label.

1 Like

I am the same with Grant. I quite liked this album but can’t imagine wanting to play it again much.

I really liked the Moses track. The Van Etten was the weakest for me.

Don’t think I’ve seen this one posted yet:

Hartnoll & Young – The Virus Diaries

This is Orbital’s Paul Hartnoll and the poet Murry Lachlan Young getting together for a wry look back at the Covid experience. I’m up to track 6 and honestly don’t think I’ll last much longer, my love for Orbital in this case not being enough to overcome how trite I’m finding Young’s contribution.

1 Like

I lasted 2 tracks :confused:

1 Like

Squirrel Flower is dead good eh

4 Likes

It doesn’t improve much.

This quote from Young makes me dislike it/him significantly more: “It was glaringly obvious to anyone, the last thing anyone needed was serious art. It doesn’t patronize, prescribe or instruct. It just tries to tell it like it was at the time. The thing that went missing in lockdown #1 was fun and any sort of laughs. Everyone shut up shop and that is where we stepped into the void.”

Really?! Cos I think I remember pretty much everybody’s social media last year being chock-full of the exact same ponderous observations he’s trotting out here.

An instrumental version of the album would be vastly preferable.

1 Like

Enjoying this - perfect listening for a rainy Monday morning. Thanks.

Lonelady also excellent as others have mentioned.

1 Like

We’re closing in on 100 new releases mentioned in the thread so far this week!

I’m just going to add a couple of enjoyable singles/EPs to the pile…

Colleen Green - I Wanna Be A Dog
Slacker pop-rock.

Turnstile - Turnstile Love Connection
Four tracks of punk/hardcore fun

Some intese soundtrack action from The Bug under his own name. Droney.

this is really good imho - Act Nice might be my favourite

Laura Cannell and Kate Ellis - June Sounds
Violin and cello collaboration - the latest in the series of EPs written, recorded and released every month throughout 2021.

1 Like