New releases 26/3/21

IT’S HERE!

Weirdly not released on Bandcamp yet so Spotify it is…

Might also try out Tune-Yards if I get bored of this, but I think I’m getting slightly diminishing returns from their records.

What’s on your menu?

7 Likes

New Armand Hammer / The Alchemist album, Haram, drops today. Not going to post the link because the artwork is grim, but it’s on Spotify…

Armand Hammer (billy woods and ELUCID) are probably the best rappers of the past 5 years, and The Alchemist is the best producer working right now, so very excited to listed to this.

14 Likes

Ooh didn’t even know that was coming. Nice.

2 Likes

That’s my first port of call too, but then there are loads more records I’ve got plans to check out.

Edo Funk Explosion Vol. 1 is a compilation of raw 80s funk from Nigeria which is my second in line today.

2 Likes

It’s the new one from the antlers:

(First new music in 7 years - delicate, dreamy folk pop)

Very excited

7 Likes

New Lil Nas X HIT

First listen to new DFA1979 was good too

Clark’s new one is top of my list today:

And then Jenny Hval’s new collab album:

5 Likes

New Tomahawk for me. Very excited despite the last album being a big forgettable.

6 Likes

Also the third entry in Laura Cannell & Kate Ellis’ year long cello/violin series:

2 Likes

Hannah Peel - Fir Wave reworks the sounds of Delia Derbyshire’s 1972 Radiophonic Workshop into a record themed around the earth’s ecological cycles.

6 Likes

'68 heavy chuggyness with blues riffs, or something

6 Likes

Citizen - emo discopunk with slight gazy elements

1 Like

New Serpentwithfeet!

Plus new Manchester Orchestra single.

6 Likes

Wow there’s a lot of stuff out today after a couple of slow weeks. The new Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders and Armand Hammer & The Alchemist LPs are my most anticipated albums of the year so far, so I’ll take a further dig after a listen or two to those

For Those I Love - s/t is a debut release for Ireland’s David Balfe, a well reviewed potent record of grief for and celebration of the life of his childhood friend and former musical partner Paul Curran, inspired in part by their shared love of the Streets and Burial.

5 Likes

Loney Dear is back with his new album A Lantern And A Bell. It’s quite short, and is super delicate and hushed with lovely muted keyboards and hints of electronica. It’s beautiful. Going in for a second listen now.

4 Likes

Yikes, it’s going to have to be some album to get past that

Big week for me, along with Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders, some others:

Long single of experimental, electronic, drone from Cabaret Voltaire

Electronic, vocals over compositions mostly sung in French

Electronic, downtempo

Ambient, drone

Swedish folk duo go the Leonard Cohen live covers route

Archival live release from early 70’s, southern rock, blues

4 Likes

End of the Road is one of the best tracks of the year so far. Genre-hopping pop. No idea if the rest of the album follows a similar path.

Also going to be checking out The Antlers, Tune-Yards, serpentwithfeet, and Armand Hammer & The Alchemist

4 Likes

Str4ta - Aspects is a new album on Brownswood, seems to be Gilles Peterson himself and Jean-Paul Maunick both on production and mixing, bringing together musicians to recreate disparate sounds of the scenes they came up with, creating the kind of tracks that they might otherwise have been digging crates for.

4 Likes