New releases 27th Aug 21

Morning all

Going to kick this off with big red machine

And a new Keaton Heston EP

Primarily about Space Afrika for me.

Ambient-electronica, but filtered through a post-hyperdub lens. Probably FFO Andy Stott, KMRU, Huerco S etc.

Also going to try to grab a copy of @colossalhorse’s split tape with Salvatore Mercatante when it’s released later today.

7 Likes

Sugar Horse release their debut album.

Ffo sludge metal, noise rock, McLusky.

5 Likes

Turnstile sounds interesting on skim listen.

Currently enjoying Indigo De Souza’s album on the way to work.

New album by the bug (sorry for lack of descriptions I’m still in bed)

4 Likes

Huge release day today. Here’s three from the top of the list.

The Bug - Fire

Big booming brassy sounds of dub, dancheall, grime, hip hop.

Yann Tiersen - Kerber

Billed as the most electronic work from the Amelie soundtrack composer.

Kiefer - When There’s Love Around

Jazz of the funky Soulful variety from the Grammy-winning producer of Anderson.Paak’s Ventura.

7 Likes

Turnstile bring the hardcore Punk

Halsey brings Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

10 Likes

Bendik Giske

Solo sax along the lines of Colin Stetson, but with some beautiful electronic flourishes. Cruising is gorgeous.

8 Likes

Haiku Salut

Our lad @Twinkletoes has something out too :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

All about Sugar Horse, Turnstile and The Bronx today

3 Likes

Field Works - Maples, Ash, and Oaks: Cedars Instrumentals

a mesmerizing soundtrack for a long walk in the woods, made up of pedal steel, oud, guitar, hurdy-gurdy, and piano

Westside Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 8: Sincerely Adolf

Never understated rap from the Griselda founder, featuring Conway the Machine, Benny the Butcher, Boldy James, Lil Wayne, Stove God Cooks…

Ngaiire - 3

Pop R&B from Papa New Guinea via Australia (and Australian Idol).

3 Likes

Kiefer, The Bug and Westside Gunn are the big ones for me today.

the new Bronx is off to a really good start

The Keaton Henson and Julian baker song is a beauty

Web Web - Web Max

German rapper/producer Max Herre and Italian-German pianist Roberto Di Gioia become the odd couple of spiritual jazz, attracting guest spots from Mulatu Astatke and Brandee Younger

Kenny Garret - Sounds From the Ancestors

A “study of the West African influence on pan-American music from Afro-Cuban idioms and jazz to gospel, hip-hop and R&B” from the modal modernist alto sax player who had played with Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Duke Ellington…

2 Likes

A couple of heavier releases I’ll be checking out. The new Fluisteraars album/EP is out;

New album by Swedish atmo black band Wormwood

and the new one by US Folk/black metal band Windfaerer

4 Likes

Been really looking forward to this one. Singles have been killer, and first impressions are good to these ears.

5 Likes

Keaton Heston, Haiku Salut, Yann Tiersen, Field Works, and Indigo De Souza also for me (adding a link for the latter):

Indigo De Souza - Any Shape You Take

Macy Rodman - Unbelievable Animals
This popped up today as Shamir sings on a song (and signed her to his label). Sounds interesting and catchy so far.
“The massive, sugary, propulsive sound of the record — confession and heartbreak set to club-ready beats with ‘90s radio rock inflections — is the sound of reemergence, of rebirth, the return to the dance floor.”

Water From Your Eyes - Structure
From Paste Magazine: “acoustic daydreams often precede gently grating electronics, and ballads co-exist with quirky dance numbers”

Son Lux - Tomorrows Reworks Part 1
Another Son Lux release, but remixes/reworks this time. Including one by Emily Wells.

TSHA - OnlyL
Just a three track ep, sounds kind of like a female Caribou.

ok, going to dive into Haiku Salut and Yann Tiersen now!

2 Likes

Steve Gunn of course.

3 Likes

Courtney Barnett doing I’ll be your mirror.

1 Like