New releases 28/2/20

This just released this morning - I loved the two songs they released prior, kind of Western Post Rock instrumentals? Not best for descriptions, but I am going to stick this on today and chill out.

1 Like

There’s a new Vladislav Delay album and it’s brutal

1 Like

and I’ve just seen Chapelier Fou has a new album out called ‘Méridiens’ which is worth a listen if you like electronica-meets-classical stuff.

1 Like

soccer mommy is great because of course it is, but it is a little samey and shiny too. The Pitchfork quip

Many of the songs chug along around the same midtempo, with a similar first-drum-lesson beat

was pretty on the money

Just can’t get with this new Caribou at all. I’ll give it a few spins but I’m struggling with it.

1 Like

Really enjoying this, first track wasn’t what I expected but instantly made my ears perk up!

Any plans for more shows/Scottish shows soon/? I know you played up here only recently but worth checking!

2 Likes

Some banging recommendations this week, chaps. I am well on board with Daniel Davies and Fluisteraars. Well done all

1 Like

I haven’t read the thread, and I’m sure it’ll have been mentioned loads, but really into new Caribou.

Straddles the banger/disorientation line perfectly, which is usually what I want from a Grimes album but was a bit let down by that. Feels like Swim…but with more hooks

2 Likes

Not currently but obviously would love to if you fancy helping :wink:

And thank you!

Caribou has been mentioned but mostly critical but I’m loving it like you.

1 Like

Bit disappointed with Princess Nokia’s tbh… there’s a couple of choice tracks, but I find the whole thing rather underwhelming…

I don’t know if you are familiar with Oakland rapper Kamaiyah…but her new album…Got it Made is pretty bangin.Got It Made_Kamaiyah

1 Like

Maybe not for you if you’re all-in on the synth stuff. But it really builds on the promise of rhe Go Down In History EP in a way which the subsequent album arguably failed to do

Didn’t realise people don’t like Our Love. Surprising.

New one is alright I thought but not as coherent as his best stuff.

Need to listen to the Autre Monde debut as I’m a fan of frontman Paddy Hanna’s solo stuff.
They’ve put out some lovely indie rock singles over the last couple of years although their more synthy EP wasn’t quite as good.

Our Love didn’t click for me At. All. until I saw it live, I wonder if that’s what’ll happen with this one.

Yes! Loved their work with Dâm-Fūnk, will no doubt enjoy this too.

1 Like

Just knew from the description/location of Lemon Quartet it was going to be something Trouble Books adjacent and I am very happy I was correct! Thanks for posting it, really lovely stuff.

Didn’t see these mentioned yet:

Kassa Overall’s I Think I’m Good - definitely my favorite work of 2020 thus far… from who I would call the Post Malone of Planet Flying Lotus. Protect this man, at all costs!

Ellen Fullman’s In the Sea - at first, it appears to be one, prolonged (90 minute) buzzing sound. but as you slip into it, layers peel away and you fall forever.

Angelica Garcia’s Cha Cha Palace - meet the Mexican-Salvadoran version of Santigold, basically. Praise for what she does for cultural representation.

and thank you for reminding me about Christine and the Queens! I thought the Charli XCX collab was a wig-snatcher until she paired up with Caroline Polachek and skinned me alive :heart:

I remember being really excited for Princess Nokia… da fuck happened? Both her new albums are terrible.

Memories of Miso on the new Orielles album is absolutely gorgeous. Didn’t think they had something like that in them.

2 Likes