New Releases 29/04/2022

The whole house has covid (mostly for the first time) and the insomnia is not one of the symptoms I’d been expecting, but here I am, so might as well get started early!

Here’s what I’m lining up to listen to:

Action Bronson - Cocodrillo Turbo

Gourmand rapper with an album inspired by body surfing and his love of the water (“Fuck, That’s Wet” coming soon to a TV near you?)

Batu - Opal

Hefty, ruminative, percussive techno explorations on a first full LP from the UK bass producer and Timedance label head.

Congotronics International - Where’s The One?

Collab album between members of Congolese acts Konono Nº1 and Kasai All stars with Western avant-rock artists Deerhoof, Juana Molina, Wildbirds & Peacedrums, and Skeletons’ Matt Mehlan.

Ebi Soda - Honk If You’re Sad

UK jazz scene group with a record of “psychedelia, dissonance, serene ambient passages, tough, neck-snapping beats and lush textures underscored by the intersection of jazz, hip hop and electronic music”. Yazz Ahmed joins for one track.

Kehlani - Blue Water Road

Sensuous R&B with features from Thundercat, Justin Bieber and Jessie Reyez.

Kelly Lee Owens - Lp.8

Welsh tech house/art pop star defies maths with her 8th album directly following her 2nd. Channeling Enya and Throbbing Gristle is the hype is to be believed.

KMRU & Aho Ssan - Limen

Collaboration between Kenyan sound artist Joseph Kamaru (KMRU) and French digital alchemist Niamké Désiré (Aho Ssan) for Berlin Atonal festival which goes against each artist’s minimalist tendencies and experiments with volume, physicality, and intense emotionality.

Let’s Eat Grandma - Two Ribbons

Highly anticipated third album from the synth-pop duo, the first since 2018’s I’m All Ears - this forum’s second favourite album of that year based on the big poll.

Miranda Lambert - Palomino

In probably not a first for the genre, one of country music’s best singer-songwriters turns out an album loosely themed around ragtag nomadic travellers.

Oumou Sangaré - Timbuktu

Malian blues from one of the country’s greatest singers.

Pierre Kwenders - José Louis and Paradox of Love

“A genre-hopping, border-straddling record from Canadian-via-Kinshasa multi-hyphenate Pierre Kwenders featuringcontributions from Arcade Fire’s Win Butler and Regine Chassagne as well as Tendai Maraire of Shabazz Palaces”.

Sofi Tukker - Wet Tennis

Vibrant dance pop bangers.

Susanna - Elevation

“a thematic sequel to her 2020 album ‘Baudelaire & Piano’ based on the 19th century French poet’s work. ‘Elevation’ is an atmospheric layering of spoken-word passages and spectral drones and hiss provided by collaborators Delphine Dora and Stina Stjern”

Tigran Hamasyan - StandArt

American jazz standards interpreted by pianist and composer Hamasyan.

Toma Kami - Amapicante

Always got time in my schedule for a Livity Sound EP; I’m expecting some visceral UK Funky percussive techno.

William Basinski & Janek Schaefer - “ . . . on reflection"

Delicate piano passages, flickering melodies and drawn out drones that really sink you in deep.

What else have you got?

20 Likes

The big one is Let’s Eat Grandma.

The ones that I’m also really looking forward to are releases by Dana Gavanski and Tomberlin.

3 Likes

Really excited for Melody’s Echo Chamber new one

8 Likes

and there is a HTRK demos and rarities album out

2 Likes

Would love to hear Armand Hammer’s WHT LBL but I won’t be at an upcoming show so I guess unless someone rips it or they decide to sell digitals I won’t be heading it.

Very excited about Sofi Tukker and Let’s Eat Grandma

1 Like

Hyped for Let’s Eat Grandma.

My recent ‘Rhubarb and Custard’ EP is now on streaming if that’s yer bag as well. Throwback drill & bass feels verging on breakcore at points.

10 Likes

New album by celebrated Scandi avant-gardeist Civilistjavel! on a new lable by DJ & producer Perko:

New Toma Kami on Livity Sound!! Weird bass, dembo and Middle Eastern club mutations

This one’s a big one - 2nd volume in Young Marco’s incredible ‘Planet Love’ series documenting early trance & prog-house. First volume was gorgeous so really looking forward to this.

Final compilation - and indeed final release ever :frowning: - from LA label Astral Plane:

New single from forthcoming album from UK grime don Slackk, featuring a couple of versions and Mez on the mic:

New Scalping. A big release in general today:

Will probably check this EP of Faye Webster re-workings out:

It’s hectic but I’m looking forward to delving properly into this new DJ Speedsick EP. The title kind of sums it up perfectly tbh:

Organ Tapes on DJ Python’s Worldwide Unlimited (released yesterday):

Lowtec returns to Workshop for 2 sides basically reaching an hour in length. Say no more:

That’ll do it, I think. Also going to delve into the aforementioned Batu, KRMU, Melody’s Echo Chamber and Helms Alee. It’s a lot but I’m bed-ridden with COVID (again) so have plenty of time.

3 Likes

Mentioned earlier but here’s links…

HTRK - Death is a Dream

Collection of demos and sketches from the sessions for their brilliant 2021 album ‘Rhinestones’ (Boomkat album of the year).

Tomberlin- i don’t know who needs to hear this

American folk musician and singer-songwriter based in Louisville with first new album in 4 years.

2 Likes

Looking forward to Bronsolino as always, also on my list…

Toro y Moi - MAHAL

7th studio album from Chaz Bear, features more musicians than a usual TyM release. The singles have been groovy so I’m looking forward to this.

Czarface - Czarmageddon!

The latest album from Esoteric & Inspectah Deck gets a digital release following last weekends RSD vinyl debut. Expect Boom-Bap beats, wordy raps and plenty of scratching.

Ps. I hope you get well soon @Octobadger and family.

4 Likes

Not expecting a lot, but I’ll give it a go…

Bloc Party - Alpha Games

2 Likes

My pal is putting this out today

Their first album was superb so really excited for this. Not sure what to expect as each single / EP / album they’ve done has been reasonably different, but will be warm, european synthpop of some variety

2 Likes

It is going to be Let’s Eat Grandma all day, so excited for this album.

1 Like

Last year’s Tennis System album is now available to steam. Dreamy gazy pop rock

1 Like

Rammstein are back to do their thing once more

6 Likes

MJ Lenderman - Boat Songs

3rd solo album from the Wednesday guitarist. Loose, ramshackle indie pop. Big Neil Young vibes

3 Likes

Had no idea they had albums coming out, very exciting!

1 Like

This is a good day

3 Likes

Heriot - Profound Morality
Grindy hardcore, reminds me a bit of Nails, Trap Them, All Pigs Must Die with the occasional bit of soaring melody

FFO: any band Kurt Ballou has produced

6 Likes

Dälek - Precipice

Noise driven hiphop on Mike Patton’s Ipecac label. Guest spot from Tool 's Adam Jones.

4 Likes