New Releases (29/09/17)

Is the new Deerhoof this week, or is that next week? There’s a lot of albums coming out around now; given how huge an influence Four Tet was on my own work, I’m surprised how I’ve hardly listened to anything off this new’un (I feel like the same happened for me with Burial when he started to release stuff out of the blue, though).

Got the new Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith album pre-ordered for next week. Better make sure I set a shit load of time aside for extensive listening.

Ace, getting a eurostar home from paris this afternoon so will blast on my headphones

It’s a really fine line between the two…so it’s a hard distinction to make. Currently thinking I’ll play it safe with the TWIABPAIANLATD album, but will give this a go later on.

half way through and I think that’s a very very awesome idea, proper “stare out of the black window” shit.

1 Like

The vocals are the best part

Guys Protomartyr is an AOTY contender. Get it listened.

3 Likes
1 Like

Great review. Only managed the first two tracks until I was rudely interrupted by actually having to do some work. Just chucked it back on now I’m home

1 Like

This week is going to be all about Protomartyr for me. I’m really excited for the new album, I loved the last two and for some reason recently it’s been hitting me extra hard how brilliant The Agent Intellect is.

I’ll give TWIABP a shot too. I can’t think of another band where I go from “ugh why am I listening to this” to “crap, why aren’t more bands like this” so quickly between songs. “Getting Sodas” and “I Can Be Afraid of Anything” are amazing and I’m hoping the new one at least has something on their level or even better can sustain that level for an entire album.

I’ll give Wolf Alice a shot too I guess even though I didn’t really like the debut that much, aside from “Moaning Lisa Smile” which was like a time machine to “Space Lord” by Monster Magnet.

Torres is pretty fantastic. Feels like it’ll only grow on me as time goes on.

Plus, major props to this thread for the Protomartyr tip. Never heard of them before but I’m absolutely loving this. It reminds me a bit of the third Iceage album from a few years ago.

2 Likes

It seems like the whole world forgot about Iceage after that album, I don’t understand why.

Gonna listen to Four Tet and Shrug Life in a bit

A few weeks ago wasn’t it?

Yep

That was just digitally via Bandcamp though, right?

Maybe because they haven’t put anything out since?

(I saw them this summer at Haven playing mostly new stuff, it sounded good!)

Haha I guess that’s a good point. I might be misremembering, but it seemed like the first two albums got a ton of attention but that one was overlooked.

1 Like

This is good news.

1 Like

Dunno when it’s out but I’m listening to Propagandhi’s new album. Haven’t heard them before and it’s really taken me aback how good it is. Not generally a fan of punk/hardcore.