New Releases 29 July 22

You had me at ‘Korg M1’.

1 Like

That Florist album is really good reminds more of Grouper than Big Thief. Although I can hear the Big Thief influence.

the closing track is absolutely punishing

Wow. They might just be my new favourite band.

1 Like

It’s nice to finish on a groovy straightforward riff, but the song goes hard. Really great stuff.

1 Like

Listened to this after I saw someone in the 100% enthusiastic Reddit thread say: ‘this fucckkkkkkkks!!!’ Accurate description.

1 Like

Holy shit this is excellent.

I am enjoying the Tallies a lot. The hooks and the vocals. Soooo nice

1 Like

Moundabout - Flowers Rot, Bring me Stones

Spooky folk.

In the same way a lump of rock is no force alone but may form an avalanche or a mighty cairn, the combined weight of the constituent parts on Flowers Rot, Bring Me Stones, the debut album from Moundabout, starts to suffocate deliciously. Impact comes not from the distorted guitars and pummelling drums that hitherto characterised the members of Moundabout’s music (Paddy Shine of experimental rock collective Gnod and Phil Masterson of ‘goat-punk’ outfit Los Langeros, among others) but instead an incremental accumulation of organic sound including hyperreal samples, close-miked vocalisation, super-clean guitars, and primitive percussion. - The Quietus

Anish Kumar - Postcards

Unspooky house EP

3 Likes

DC Gore - All These Things
Quite like this album. A synthy indie pop low key version of Pet Shop Boys and Jarvis Cocker maybe. Has a song called ‘Nietzsche On The Beach’.

Novo Amor - Antarctican Dream Machine
Welsh multi-instrumentalist makes an instrumental album which I suppose sounds like dreamy antarctica vibes.

Oehl - Ruh EP
Austrian / Icelandic duo. Melancholic indie pop.

Diving in now. Been looking forward to this since hearing the Anderson Paak track. Didn’t realise it was the same two who did the Madvillainy tribute from a while back.

2 Likes

I couldn’t see a post about this record yet, but may have missed it. Only discovered it today, but listened several times already. The Bandcamp page describes it as a blend of “synth-driven avant garde compositions and thunderous drum programming”. Definitely has the feel of some majestic sci-fi movie soundtrack and I can hear bits of Oneohtrix Point Never in there. Brilliant. (Artwork keeps reminding me of the artwork for Perturbator’s Lustful Sacraments, but from a different angle!)

1 Like

I am also enjoying the DOMi & JD Beck record (they’ve been big in my house for a while as my eldest is a regular watcher of the Kenny Beats twitch streams) and it’s great

Can’t help thinking that they don’t need the collaborators though …or at least, that they should release an instrumental version too

the Tidal algorithm threw this at me after the D&JD record

https://tidal.com/browse/album/221524216

which sounds great to these ears (cc @escutcheon jazz/100 show)

1 Like

Ty Segall and TRAAMS were joint favourites last week, Beach Bunny in third.

What did you enjoy this week?

• Amanda Shires - Take It Like A Man
  • Andrew Tuttle - Fleeting Adventure
  • Anish Kumar - Postcards
  • BABii - SCREAMER
  • Beach Rats - Rat Beat
  • Beyoncé - Renaissance
  • Breathless – See Those Colours Fly
  • Chat Pile - God’s Country
  • cheerbleederz - even in jest
  • Clube Tormenta - O Som Do Labirinto OST
  • CoN & KwAkE - Eyes In The Tower
  • Damon & Naomi with Kurihara - A Sky Record (vinyl release)
  • DC Gore - All These Things
  • Death Bells - Between Here & Everywhere
  • DOMi & JD BECK - NOT TiGHT
  • Domo Genesis - Intros, Outros & Interludes
  • Emeka Ogboh - 6°30′33.372″N 3°22′0.66″E
  • Florist - Florist
  • Friendship - Love The Stranger
  • Galaxy Brain - Night Dad EP
  • Grima - Frostbitten
  • Hayley Kiyoko - PANORAMA
  • Hinako Omori - a journey with friends
  • Hooveriii - A Round of Applause
  • Ithaca - They Fear Us
  • Jemima Coulter - Grace After a Party
  • Jeremy Cunningham - A better Ghost
  • Joe Armon-Jones - A Way Back EP
  • Joshua Burnside - It’s Blowing a Gale Outside EP
  • King Princess - Hold on Baby
  • Kuedo - Infinite Window
  • Liam Gallagher - Bless You
  • Maggie Rogers - Surrender
  • Magic Arm - Dance Mania
  • Maija Sofia - O Theremin single
  • Moundabout - Flowers Rot, Bring me Stones
  • Novo Amor - Antarctican Dream Machine
  • Oehl - Ruh EP
  • of Montreal - Freewave Lucifer f<ck f​^​ck f>ck
  • Olafur Arnalds - Surface soundtrack
  • Orbital - 30 Something
  • Pianos Become The Teeth - Buckley (single)
  • Pyrolator - Niemandsland
  • Robohands - Violet
  • Sam Gendel - Cicada Lite (Live in Texas)
  • Sun’s Signature - Sun’s Signature EP
  • Tallies - Patina
  • The Cribs re issues
  • Various Artists - Live at WOMAD 1982
  • Willie J Healey - Tiger Woods
  • worriedaboutsatan - 0207
0 voters
1 Like

PURPLE MAN

1 Like

Been devouring the Ithaca album the last week and a half. Might be my fave release this year alongside the Black Country New Road album. Full of emotion and that last track is such a great final statement to end the album on, love it.

I have enjoyed quite a few records recently that get lukewarm Pitchfork reviews, and just found a new example. Kraut-infused, jazzy art rock from Louisville Kentucky:

This is right up there in terms of album of the year for me. The instrumental interludes are beautiful, and really make it into a considered long-form piece. I hadn’t got into their earlier work, but am likely to do a retrospective (once I can stop putting this one on repeat…)