New Releases 30 December 2022

Not much doing as far as I can see. These releases, mainly label compilations, from the last few days:

Various Artists - MITOHOS IV
Fourth instalment of Deaf Touch Records’ compilations of underground Japanese music. Name your price on Bandcamp. Twitter thread from the label on the different bands featured:
https://twitter.com/deaftouchmusic/status/1606908350440280065

Swervedriver - 99th Dream (remastered)
Indie rock. 2023 will be the 25th anniversary of the original release of Swervedriver’s 4th album, 99th Dream. To mark the occasion, this remastered version on Bandcamp now, with a vinyl release and return to streaming services due in the new year. They’d moved away from their heavy shoegaze early 90s sound by this album towards more straightforward indie rock, but still some good stuff on this album.

Various Artists - Critcal Music: RemiXXed
Drum & Bass. “Signing off our 20th birthday year in style we present the Critical Music RemiXXed album, which also happens to be our 200th release. A collection of Critical key cuts remixed by label family and friends.”

Belly - Holidays 2022
Alt-rock. Acoustic versions of Red and Seal My Fate.

Various Artists - Atomnation 2022 Compilation
Compilation of house and techno from the Netherlands label.

Various Artists - ELBEREC 13 3rd Anniversary
Portuguese dance music label compilation.

Anything else happening?

3 Likes

There are a couple of soundtrack albums from Patrick Jonsson and Caroline Shaw, but not doubt I’ll listen.

Magnet - Shotgun Rider EP
Just noticed this ep released last week from a blast from the past, Norweigan singer-songwriter chamber pop sort of chap Magnet, so am giving this a spin now.

2 Likes

Not much from me this week, left my release notes at home unfortunately. I think this got released yesterday though so I’ll cheat a little and include it here…

Cătălin Milea - TETRISMATIC - LP - Jazz Funk
Punchy horns and uptempo rock drums.

1 Like

Skee Mask - B

Techno/IDM from his archives released as a Name Your Price Christmas treat.

3 Likes

Vulfpeck - Schvitz

Sixth album of bright DIY funk grooves. “Recorded in a sauna without telling anyone” apparently.

1 Like

Various Artists - Glitterbeat_tak​​​:​​​til_2022

Another label compilation to round off the year, this one from Hamburg-based Glitterbeat Records who have had some good stuff out this year, especially the Al-Qasar album, as well as full-length releases I enjoyed by Liraz, Trupa Trupa and Yanna Momina. Name your price on Bandcamp.

1 Like

Anish Kumar - Bh​ā​vachakra: Collector’s Edition EP

Electronica. Four reinterpretations of the house producer’s Bh​ā​vachakra track, “extending outwards to four corners of its sonic palette. Bhāva (the state of becoming), Chakra (the relentless state), Avidyā (the state of bliss) and Moksha (the eternal state)”.

Various Artists - Mood Of The Era II EP

Electronica. One more label compilation, this one from Mood of the Era in Turku, Finland.

2 Likes

Excellent news. Loved his last one.

Talons were last week’s favourites with three votes, MIKE second with two votes and the other 8 releases all tied for third with one vote each.

Quiet again this week of course. What, if anything, did you enjoy?

• Anish Kumar - Bh​ā​vachakra: Collector’s Edition EP
  • Belly - Holidays 2022
  • Cătălin Milea - TETRISMATIC
  • Magnet - Shotgun Rider EP
  • Skee Mask - B
  • Swervedriver - 99th Dream (remastered)
  • Various Artists - Atomnation 2022 Compilation
  • Various Artists - Critical Music: RemiXXed
  • Various Artists - ELBEREC 13 3rd Anniversary
  • Various Artists - Glitterbeat_tak​​​:​​​til_2022
  • Various Artists - MITOHOS IV
  • Various Artists - Mood Of The Era II EP
  • Vulfpeck - Schvitz

0 voters

1 Like