New Releases 4/2/22

Plenty to dig in today. What are you excited about? My top pick:

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There

14 Likes

New Mitski!

10 Likes

So many

Mitski, Animal Collectove, Black Country New Road, Rolo Tomassi, Cate La Bon, A Place To Bury Strangers, Marrisa Naddler, yeule

Yeule is the one I suspect will end up being the best (though I’m sure I’ll skip the 4hr long album closer)

1 Like

Hoping the new Mitski isn’t as average as the last.

But today is all about The Reds, Pinks and Purples. His album last year was my AOTY. Hoping for another strong one.

Edit. Heard the new The Red, Pinks and Purples 1½ times on the route to work. More of the same laid back tunes as his previous. A couple of instrumental ones too. Sounds pretty good.

5 Likes

A Place to Bury Strangers might be one of the most underrated bands in my view

3 Likes

Venom Prison - Erebos
Death ish metal from Wales, kind of Svalbardy but more riff and less atmospheric
FFO sick t shirts, artwork that makes you feel a bit uncomfortable, grinding your teeth

6 Likes

New Rolo Tomassi album should be one of the album’s of the year. Post hardcore.

9 Likes

Saxon - Carpe Diem
British meat headed traditional metal stalwarts return with their billionth album which I think shared artwork with an old version of Carcassonne
FFO denim and leather, the bands who play in the afternoon on the third stage at Download that only the day ticket dads watch

Note -Denim And Leather is actually a great song

3 Likes

It’s very rare that I do this but listened to the new Mitski album and immediately started it up again as soon as it was finished. A great record.

1 Like

Cities Aviv - MAN PLAYS THE HORN

Eclectic, abstract hip-hop. His album last year was an under-rated gem I didn’t pick up on first time round so putting this top of the list today.

Kahil El’Zabar Quartet - A Time For Healing

Epic double LP’s worth of ancient/future music for the mind, body and soul. From swinging jazz that sings of his Chicago pedigree, to talking drums and soothing spiritual grooves that reconnect Black Classical Music with its African roots.

Saba - Few Good Things

Jazzy, conscious hip-hop from a member of Chicago’s Pivot Gang.

11 Likes

Rolo Tomassi, Black Country, New Road and Mitski are top of the pile. Will definitely be checking out the new Cate Le Bon too

8 Likes

ME REX – Pterodactyl

An EP of bubbly indie despair, like having an emotional breakdown on a bouncy castle. FFO: Los Campesinos!, Trust Fund, lyrics that gurgle and crash over you like cathartic rapids.

Big thanks to @blind_pilot for turning me onto them last year - hands down my most-listened-to band of the last few months.

6 Likes

A few releases I’m really looking forward today, including BCNR and maybe TRPP mentioned above. Some additional EPs too, but will listen later to see if I like them.

Jan Verstraeten - VIOLENT DISCO
Debut album from Belgian chap. ‘Disneyesque strings, cinematic indie pop and lo-fi bossanova’. Sounds lovely and looking forward to repeated plays.

Los Bitchos - Let The Festivities Begin!
Debut album on City Slang. “a retro-futuristic blend of Peruvian chicha, Argentine cumbia, Turkish psych and surf guitars.”

Gracie Gray - Anna
Sounds like Macie Gray. Her music sounds like Lomelda and Skullcrusher though. Spotify tells me that @GoldFlakePaint is a fan.

Yeule - Glitch Princess
As mentioned by @anon73286315. They were on my to-investigate list from the cancelled Great Escape 2020 festival. I don’t know anything about them, but Glitch Princess sounds like a fair enough description!

Maxence Cyrin - Melancholy Island
Nice piano instrumental sounds.

The Divine Comedy - Charmed Life-The Best Of The Divine Comedy
Will pop into town to buy this album later. I have all the songs already, but there’s a bonus cd of other stuff so will be giving that a good play along with playing my old favourites again.

5 Likes

Happy to spread the love.

This new one is great: if you combine this with the Stegosaurus/Triceratops EPs you have an absolutely storming full length.

I designed the cover for this very special Bandcamp Friday release by The Anchoress. A contemplative and funereal cover of REM’s ‘Sweetness Follows’ - now hoping she does a whole drone album tbh.

6 Likes

I too had Kahil El’Zabar Quartet on my list today, loving it on first listen, awesome beats. I also listened to some of the Bandcamp dailies during the week especially Mainstram Funk and John Patton which were both ace.

Abiodun Oyewole - Gratitude - Poetry & Hip Hop
Abiodun Oyewole is one of the founding member of The Last Poets, famous for the track When The Revolution Comes. Enjoyed this with Occupy being a stand out for me.

Partner Look - By The Book - Alt Pop
Downtempo infectious pop by 2 german sisters and their fellas. Its got something very hypnotic about it.

Yawn Society - Soma - DnB Jazz
"electronic music inspired by DnB and glitch, to contemporary jazz with a taste of progressive instrumental." I really liked this but I just wish the beats were slightly more complicated.

1 Like

Cassels - A Gut Feeling

Angry, angular, noisy punk rock two-piece, very heavy in places, very sinister-sounding, if that’s a thing?

Thank - Thoughtless Cruelty

Weird, creepy noise-rock, reminiscent of Gilla Band in places, abrasive to the max.

8 Likes

Finding this Mitski album a bit patchy at best. Better than the last one, obviously, but I’m not really feeling it tbh.

2 Likes

New band out of Bristol.
Big Deftones influence, big riffs and a dash of hardcore.

Pretty great on first listen

3 Likes

I also submitted the lead single of Yeule to music league

YOU DIDNT VOTE FOR IT

1 Like