New releases - 9/7/2021

Ann Margaret Hogan - Without the Moon

“Ann Margaret Hogan in collaboration with Nick Cave, Jarboe, Marc Almond, Barry Adamson, Kid Congo Powers, Gini Ball and JG Thirlwell, inc instrumentation from Siouxsie / Banshees drummer Budgie, recorded over a span of 30 years…Illuminated by Hogan’s favoured solo piano, ranging from flickering candlelight to hammering theatrics, and even including a rare appearance of her vocals on the could-have-been-a-popsong closer, the six songs on ‘Without The Moon’ speak to an incredibly rich artistic life spent immured at the core of her practice” (Boomkat - their AOTW)

3 Likes

Dolphin Midwives - Body of Water

Abstract harp, voice, percussion and electronic flourishes. Mastered by Rafael Anton Irisarri. Sounds a bit like a dream where you die and go to heaven but it’s underwater and FKA Twigs is there as a mermaid.

Saba Alizadeh - I May Never See You Again

Mixes virtuoso violin with spherical electronics, samples of Persian musical instruments and field recordings from his hometown Tehran. Had a track on the excellent This is Tehran? compilation from last month.

6 Likes

Hate to be that guy, but this has been out for 3/4 months now

2 Likes

OHNO!

13 Likes

Les Filles de Illighadad is very hypnotic and enjoyable

I’m liking the Drug Store Romeos album, it feels like they could become quite big.

I’m cheating a little bit as apparently this came out last Friday, but I feel justified because a) I was on holiday and missed it, b) it didn’t appear in last week’s new releases thread, and c) it sounds absolutely beautiful and I don’t want people to miss out on it.

Meditative folk guitar with some ambient touches and hushed reverb-y vocals, reminiscent of William Tyler, North Americans et al. Gorgeous on first listen.

3 Likes

Sounds what id expect the Cooper Temple Clause to sound like now. Not a bad thing

My friend/onetime bandmate has released a long awaited second album earlier this week on bandcamp. Doesn’t appear to be on other streaming services yet.

Recommended if you like pianos and ethereal vocals. Second half of the record is particularly strong.

2 Likes

Former Sea Pinks frontman / Girls Names drummer has yet another record out

4 Likes

Another week, another bunch of releases that were ‘written/recorded against the backdrop of the pandemic’. Not sure if music PRs realise this, but everything done everywhere by everybody for the last year-and-a-bit has been done ‘against the backdrop of the pandemic’. I just made a cup of tea against the backdrop of the pandemic but you don’t hear me going on about it.

27 Likes

:thinking:

17 Likes

Thought I’d got away with my humblebrag!

4 Likes

My mistake. There is something new featuring Xiu Xiu, and that something is this:

2 Likes

William Tyler & Luke Schneider - Understand

Guitar led ambient / Krautrock. Don’t much about Schneider but Tyler is always a winner in my books.

4 Likes

like the artwork and description so i’ll bookmark this!

Wasn’t even aware it was coming out! Got confused as Tyler has another collab album coming out in August with Marisa Anderson (who I’m also unfamiliar with) but yeah Tyler’s stuff is right up your street Ic-Smic. Really hypnotic instrumental psych jams.

Got Neil Brogan’s record queued up for later too so report back on that.

1 Like

Marisa Anderson generally plays in the “American Primitive” style (John Fahey, Jack Rose etc). I saw her at Le Guess Who a few years back and she was excellent - such a great guitarist.

1 Like

Really enjoying the Moin album - i’m glad this thread exists, would never have picked this up otherwise!

2 Likes

Ah ace! I’ve queued up Into The Light (partially because of the cool artwork) now. But yeah all the intricacies and fingerpicking that goes on in the “American Primitive” style is awesome. Can imagine it was really captivating to catch live!

1 Like