New Releases Friday 12th June

Good week this week. Got the contrasts of Jehnny Beth from Savages ‘To Love is to Live’ and the steady, talk-talk esque Orlando Weeks (he from the Maccabees) with ‘The Quickening’.

Anything else on the radar for people this week?

1 Like

Built To Spill is my main one. Will also check out Bibio and Gia Margaret

1 Like

Jehhny Beth for me. I saw her live twice earlier this year and her songs sounded great and I’ve been waiting for this for a few months now.
I heard the new album heading into work just now; sounds great. A mix between the as expected in your face angry rock and also softer piano backed songs too. A very promising first listen.

Gia Margaret is on my list too. Liked her previous stuff.

Also on my list is someone called Lena Philipsson. She came up on my “new releases” on Google Play. Sounded like wannabe ABBA (which is a good thing). I I Googled her and she was in fact a Swedish Eurovision entrant about 15 years ago. Tacky album cover too and so I’ll give that album a spin too.

Wow! New Mr Bungle track released today!

1 Like

Gia Margaret bound to be good
Plus this Ugandan drumming techno kinda thing by Nihiloxica

6 Likes

We’ve got a new one out on Disintegration State. Delayed it from last week for obvious reasons. Nocturnal synthwave with a #retro purple cassette.

8 Likes

New one from Kate NV is really lovely electronica with vocal flourishes. Elements of Haiku Salut in parts and Braids in others.

6 Likes

TENGGER have a new one.

4 Likes

Gia Margaret will be excellent. Last album was beautiful and the singles from this have been good.

Listened to Orland Weeks on the drive in. Sorta washed over me. Will have to listen to it in a better situation and hoping it reveals a bit more.

1 Like

Built to spill play the songs of Daniel Johnson

3 Likes

New go go penguin

5 Likes

Drab City album sounding good on first flick through.

Female vox/samples and stuff.

1 Like

Digital release of the Coriky album on streaming services today

For fans of Fugazi :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Nice instrumental folk.

Trad with modern twist

1 Like

Dead nice this… Fans of perhaps villagers.

Noveller - Arrow

Usually reliable for guitar-based ambient-ish soundscapes. Looking forward to getting stuck into this one (she used to be the guitarist in Parts and Labor - anyone remember them?)

8 Likes

Finish Flag have a lush new one out! At the pop end of London’s DIY/Punk scene (Doe/Nervus/Cheerbleederz), a short album of excellently crafted and titled songs

2 Likes

I like Noveller, didn’t know she had a new one and out and also didn’t know she was in Parts and Labor. This has been a very informative post.

P&L were great. Still listen to Mapmaker fairly regularly.

2 Likes

Self-titled 5th album from Mercury nominated jazz trio Gogo Penguin was pushed back from last week.

Another jazz trio album that was pushed back a week; a collection of established tracks recorded in a brief and breezy session by a trio with a huge amount of experience and talent.

Didn’t expect to find myself anticipating a release by Starbucks circa 2002’s Norah Jones, but I heard Were You Watching? last week and it’s been in my head ever since, a gorgeous track with gently loping strings, piano and dusky vocals; keen to find out if I have been unfairly dismissive or this track was just a fluke.

Photay - Waking Hours “at a juncture of jazz-funk, IDM and ebullient pop”

5 Likes

I’ve heard a minute of this but it already sounds excellent

2 Likes