New releases - May 17 2019

Any fans of The Brian Jonestown Massacre or the Limiñanas may be interested in the debut EP by L’Épee which is a group featuring Anton Newcombe, Lionel & Marie Limiñana plus Emmanuelle Seigner. It’s great.

2 Likes

Saw that clip of Coogan - he seems to be morphing into Ronnie Corbet as he gets older.

New Tyler album is LOVELY

10 Likes

I’m really enjoying The National’s new one but sweet jesus why is it 16 tracks long? It’s bloody exhausting.

2 Likes

Fucked Up too (although admittedly they have a female bassist/incorporated some female vocals before)

1 Like

Aye, could and should shave 4 tracks off at least

I’m certain there’s some of my favourite National tracks since High Violet on first listen alone but yeah - trim it to 11/12 tracks and it’d be so much stronger. Release the offcuts as an ep later and you’re laughing.

3 Likes

Got to listen to it today, after all. Top stuff. Love it. Dan Boeckner is a genius.

1 Like

Nice. Was totally oblivious to this coming out. Big fan of their last three albums. Cheers

This is really good although I’m kind of surprised at how much their sound has changed since I last listened to them, ‘It’s a Low’ in particular, sounds like a completely different band.

Some great albums spun today but best of all for me (and not mentioned here so far) is BCUC - The Healing, bass-led afrobeat jams with a real sense of urgency - get on it.

2 Likes

was just replying to say that no albums should ever be more than 12 tracks but then I remembered that CRJ literally released an album today with 15 tracks and they’re all bangers

3 Likes

Tyler is so great

3 Likes

Here is my review of the four(4) from today I’ve heard

Carly - great
National - Good
Biffy - Nah
Tyler - YES

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Ooh, I didn’t realise Erland Cooper’s newie was out today! Solan Goose and Murmurations were two of my favourite 2018 albums, so I have high hopes for this one :slight_smile:

He’s also in The Magnetic North with Hannah Peel & Simon Tong; they’ve made two albums, the second of which (Prospect Of Skelmersdale) is particularly wonderful. I discovered EC through this band via Hannah Peel, who is utterly amazing.

Not going to lie, this is bloody great! I’ve been jumping around the living room like an idiot to this, glad to have them back!

2 Likes

Ryan Pollie popped up on my Spotify recommends and I must say, it’s an fine rekkid.

IYL Belle & Sebastian with steel guitar and (dare I say it) Cinerama-ish…(for some reason).

But a nice listen

I’m late this week but on my listening list

Hey Colossus
The National
Erland Cooper
Com Truise
Yann Novak ‘Stillness’
Helm 'Chemical ‘Flowers’
Thomas William Hill ‘Grains of Space’
Chris Russell ‘Presence’
Samsuo ‘The Other Golden Side’

Busy week, better get cracking.

1 Like

Oh nice, didn’t realise Thomas William Hill’s new one was out now. William Ryan Fritch has a new one out too I wasn’t aware of too - it’s a great week for modern classical dudes with 3 names.

1 Like