New Releases - October 7th 2022

Looks like another bumper week of albums for us to listen to and talk about.

First up Down I Go - Aum Shinrikyo more topic based concept mathcore fun.

Peel Dream Machine - Pad psychedelic pop music

Daphni - Cherry that Caribou dude’s more beat focussed side hustle

Open Mike Eagle - Component System With Auto Reverse art rap with a sense of humour

There’s loads of other stuff out so share links and tell me why to listen to releases Gilla Band, Fucked Up, Honey Dijon, Disq and etc

4 Likes

You’ve covered everything on my radar: Open Mike Eagle and Gilla Band.

1 Like

What a day! New Dungen and King Gizz!

rock on bong on

8 Likes

New Alvvays!

Canadian Indie-pop (lol I always thought they were Scandinavian?!)

15 Likes

Love A.A Williams so much, every song she releases gives me proper chills.

13 Likes

Oooh! I forgot this was out today.

1 Like

DJ Muggs & Crimeapple - Sin Cortar

3rd (I think) collaboration between these two, not heard any of it yet but expecting hazy beats, laced with Latin American influences & mainly raps about the narcotics business. Hip-Hop.

The Orielles - Tableu

From the press release…

“The Orielles have created their first genuinely contemporary record - an experimental double album self-produced in collaboration with producer Joel Anthony Patchett (King Krule, Tim Burgess). In doing so, the Orielles have utilised holistic jazz practices, oblique 21st century electronica, experimental 1960s tape loop methods, otherworldly AutoTuned vocal sounds, the downer dub of Burial, Sonic Youth’s focus on improvisation and feedback, and Brian Eno’s legendary Oblique Strategy cards.”

Say She She - Prism

Enjoyed their track on the latest Music League playlist “An Artist that hasn’t released an album yet”, well it appears they have now!.

From the blurb “the all female discodelic soul band, will transport you with their dreamy harmonies, catchy hooks and up tempo grooves” sounds good to me.

4 Likes

Will Sheff - Okkervil River frontman goes solo. Expecting some lush folkiness. Loved the first single.

https://tidal.com/album/237746074

Courtney Marie Andrews - country/Americana

https://tidal.com/album/226258462

Bonny Light Horseman - gorgeous folk from Anais Mitchell et Al

https://tidal.com/album/229476828

9 Likes

vocal-less black metal

Terra | Petricor | Fiadh Productions

baaaah why the link not working

Maxine Funke - Pieces of Driftwood

New Zealand folk artist with album of rarities/outtakes

“…suggests a world in which Katherine Mansfield rubs shoulders with Liz Harris, or Vashti Bunyan grows up on the Flying Nun catalog.” (Piccadilly Records)

Ekin Fil - Dora Agora

Think low-fi ambient folk era Grouper

3 Likes

Loraine James - Building Something Beautiful For Me

Second album of the year following the ambient Whatever The Weather side project. I think this returns to her usual Hyperdub-style beats.

Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - Districts, Roads, Open Space

Looking forward to this as the first two albums were great. FFO Pye Corner Audio.

14 Likes

All about Gilla Band for me today. ‘The Talkies’ is still one of the best albums of the last ten years, so really excited about this one.
(Abstract post-punky noise rock)

7 Likes

Gilla Band is the big one. High hopes for this too

Sorry - Anywhere But Here

Experimental indie rock

3 Likes

As well as Loraine James and Warrington Runcorn, I’ve also got the new Cloth EP lined up too. Dreamy bedroom indie I guess?

1 Like

Indigo Sparke - Hysteria

Australian indie folk. Previous album was co-produced by Adrianne Lenker and you could tell - it was very good though

3 Likes

New broken bells (shins/dangermousr project)

2 Likes

Jean Dawson - CHAOS NOW*

Hadn’t realised this was coming, enjoyed his last album Pixel Bath that gave off some Why? vibes. You get to hear Earl sing on this as well. This line from DIY sums it up well ‘an exhilarating meeting of grunge, pop-punk and indie with hip hop rhythms’

New one from Balmorhea, usually great folksy neo classical stuff. More recently it’s been getting more minimal and this album sounding like AWVFTS territory:

7 Likes

Rigoberta Bandini - La Emperatriz

Spanish dance pop with some great unique bits and some crescendos which go full cheese. Silly and fun

1 Like

A big release day on what is shaping up to be a stacked October (Stacktober?)

Already mentioned and very much on my list are Loraine James’ homage to Julius Eastman, The Orielles experimental double album and Courtney Marie Andrews’ Americana. Here’s a few more I’ve been enjoying from pre-release tracks

Various Artists - Good Music to Ensure Safe Abortion Access to All
This 45 track compilation appearing later on Bandcamp and available today only in support of abortion support organisations.
https://goodmusiccomp.bandcamp.com/

TSHA - Capricorn Sun
Melodic house. Bits and bobs from the previous EPs (including the sublime Sister from 2020) plus new stuff on this debut album.

Johanna Warren - Lessons for Mutants
I have really loved the three pre-release tracks from this “anything goes album blending psych-folk with punk, jazz and stoner grooves”. Sixth album apparently, but yet another artist who has passed me by until now. Just too much music out there, man. Floridian now living in Wales.

The Bobby Lees - Bellevue
Bluesy garage rock. Four piece from Woodstock New York. Pretty route 1 but deft exponents of the form and I like it a lot.
https://open.spotify.com/album/2RrFIy98mOWlx8fzp3yVzN?si=sIiD90SYS5u80Tc_aEAdpw

Nervous Twitch - Some People Never Change
Garagey post punk with surf rock flourishes from Leeds.

Liraz - Roya
Persian electropop. Recorded in secrecy in Istanbul with her band from Tel Aviv and risk-defying Iranian musicians from Tehran.

Ellie Bleach - No Elegant Way To Sell Out EP
Singer-songwriter from Southend, now London. I guess this debut EP will be classed as chamber pop when it comes to my Spotify unwrapped - a nice angsty theatricality to it.

Hekla Fell - Dasein EP
Second release on new Sheffield label Holy Crow, this EP by Hekla Fell is dark ambient stuff.

6 Likes