New Ride

There’s an average song desperately trying to break out of this. Wonder if they could remix it without that really annoying stuttering sound?

Been a bit disappointed with Ride’s comeback (like many) but at least they haven’t been as bad as those new Stone Roses songs were.

Lazy writing describing Ride as ‘shoegazers’ (perhaps ‘squandered talents’ would have been more appropriate). They started as shoegaze, but had pretty much ditched shoegazing by Going Blank Again. About what you’d expect from pitchfork these days.

It feels to me like they’re trying too hard, with these odd production tricks. It’s not a bad song – better than the last two, certainly.

I liked the last single fine. This one does seem like they’re trying a bit too hard.

to be honest, I get the impression that they don’t really understand their own appeal. They’re not udner any obligation to appease their fans, but it sounds like they’d rather being making a different kind of music than what most people would want out of them. This would be commendable if the quality was there.

Very true. All we really want is a half dozen songs that sound like they could have appeared on Nowhere and we’re happy. They really aren’t going to pick up any new fans unless they go the full Coldplay.

I saw them a couple of times in 1990 and they were hot.

With the Stone Roses, you got the impression they knew those songs weren’t up to much (heard some rumours from people who know the band that they weren’t happy with them but felt they had to release something), whereas you suspect this stuff is as good as Ride have got.

I guess so, but I don’t really think the Stone Roses would have come up with anything better together either. They’ve all (well, Mani and Ian anyway) put out some decent stuff away from the Roses which sounds very different from the “Roses sound”.

Agree, hard to go back to the well after so long. Both bands are similar really, struck gold with their first album and struggled to follow it up.

more:

The thinking man’s Oasis.

Probably the best one so far

yeah I liked it best so far. Seems like a slightly odd opener for them, but otherwise good.

Not entirely sure what it means that all the singles so far have been from the first 4 tracks.

That wasn’t too bad at all, probably the best released so far. Definitely better than the third track they released which I didn’t care for at all.

musically nice but as usual lyrically awful.

treason
reason
season
cheeseon

fair enough, though Ride’s lyrics were always a bit shit.

maybe it’s because I had really low expectations for this, but after my first listen through, this was way better than expected; even some of the tracks I initially didn’t like seemed to work better in context of the album. My only gripe so far as that almost every track in the last half feel like closing tracks, but are otherwise good on their own.

1 Like

I feel embarrassed for anybody who had anything to do with these gash lyrics

Just awful

haven’t listened to this album much, because i think it is ordinary

but every now and then a tune pops up on shuffle and i am still shocked! Just ye gads!

"Sun is up and the day goes right for me
I’m moving up in a way that’s rightfully
Ringing out yeah, your day calls out to me
I’m moving up, can’t contain the light I see

All around me the air sings infinity
Chin is up and the scene is on to me
Coffee cup and I’m sailing out to sea
I’m moving up in a way that seems to be

Fired from my mind
A Silver Symphony
Out of my mind-Rocket Silver Symphony"

their words were always bad, i mean appallingly so in the main. the best ones were the ones where you couldn’t hear the words.

1 Like