New The War on Drugs

Would love to hear him work with Kurt Vile again! In fact, any new KV material would be great, thanks!

Anyway I seem only put LITD on when I’m having a lull at work / in need of an energy boost and rarely seem to listen to outside of that context.

1 Like

Slave Ambient was just a generic indie rock album compared to the newer stuff, which is far more conceptual obviously, but the actual layers of instrumentation and composition are light years ahead of baby missiles and stuff.

1 Like

Not sure I follow

Something like Lost in the Dream is probably more niche because it’s so firmly in that concept of being like a holographic version of 80s heartland rock or whatever but it’s got so many more details and such a bigger range of sounds and instruments that it makes stuff off Slave Ambient or Wagonwheel Blues seem much more like every other band, there’s good pop rock songs on there but they’re not as well developed.

1 Like

Ok, then I humbly disagree :slightly_smiling_face:

How come? Their old records are basically entirely 3-4 minute pop songs, standard structures, vastly more acoustic/electric guitar oriented with a little bit of synth but barely any horns or the level of musical layering on the newer records.

They’re not though? They’re full of (imo/to my tastes) cool details and aren’t that standard structures, if anything that’s what LITD is to me

Oh man I think this is demonstrably false but I don’t think either of us are going to sit down and note down the entirety of both albums there.

I’m just about to give it a first listen in a while as I was similarly confused and recall it being quite generic. Gonna go in with an open mind though

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know what else to tell you. I loved Slave Ambient when it came out, thought it sounded unlike anything else at the time, then they just went 80s MOR and I was like “oh not for me thanks”

2 Likes

It’s fine

The run of your love is calling my name, the animator and come to the city are amazing but guess I’m just wrong, oh well

1 Like

Listened to it twice, sounds more like the most recent one than I remember, but not as developed. Quite good.

…name and animator are the best two tracks aye

I don’t hear the sonic youth comparison at all

5 Likes

Cool but woefully inaccurate

These new tracks are pretty dull to my ears. A friend got me into LITD and convinced me to see them at the Roundhouse. I was pretty impressed at the time, so maybe my expectations were higher. Perhaps it’s just in the context in what I’ve been listening to more recently.

1 Like
3 Likes

AOTY already

3 Likes

Fuuuuck can’t wait for this. Been playing these new ones on a loop.

1 Like