New The War on Drugs

this is pretty good IMO

KCRW get some great sessions - looking forward to watching this

1 Like

A thumbs up from me - weirdly feels like an improvement on Lost in the Dream even though overall they are extremely similar and arguably this doesn’t have any “instant classic” singles such as Under the Pressure or Red Eyes.

Consistently excellent songwriting with fewer duds, whilst slower numbers like Strangest Thing sound better realised than their equivalents on LitD. Plus as everyone and their dog has said it sounds incredible

1 Like

You know what, I’ve listened to the last few War on Drugs album a fair bit because they’re fairly nice/easy listening to shove on and work to.

Literally couldn’t tell you one lyric or melody from any of them. Therefore, I’ll brand them “nice but forgettable”

The lyrics to Pain are great. The melody and tone of “hang your head and let me in” always sticks out to me.

2 Likes

The first half is marvellous but I tend to struggle getting through the whole thing, not as good as Lost in the Dream but still v good

I thought I had the melody to Under the Pressure in my head when I saw it mentioned in the post above, but I might just have been singing the title to a Dire Straits song.

Genuinely not having a dig, I do like the band, I just find that their music washes over me.

Thought Ally Pally was great. I know people have very valid complaints about the venue but (a) it’s ten minutes walk from my flat and (b) it’s got loads better and © it’s always good and loud.

Special mention for the drummer and his facial expressions, oh yeah

2 Likes

New song. Nothing to get too excited about and nothing new to their sound, right down to the title of the song. But I… just, can’t deny that I like this kind of thing, and it’s hopefully a sign that there’s other new stuff on the way.

3 Likes

Nice track. Feel like they’ve already got one called that mind

1 Like

Very much my feeling on TWOD.

2 Likes

Sounds like their earlier stuff. Which is a good thing IMO

1 Like

that’s a really rather good song on first listen. agree that it sounds like their earlier stuff. got that dirge/drone thing going on they did so well

5 Likes

I want absolutely all of this.

1 Like

6 Likes

I have been sent something very similar on sharing this with my mates last night :smiley:

This live LP is very nice. Very smooth.

2 Likes

I miss live music

5 Likes

That song has developed into such a beast live.

Listened to it on the new record on Friday and embarrassed to say I actually felt a bit emotional… Just want to go to a gig again!

3 Likes