Next Listening Club?

Good point, mid-March (ish) start it is, then!

1 Like

If anyone wants to do Deerhunter then I can supply TIUF privately for people.

Maybe make the next poll multiple choice and then folks can select as many as they’d be interested in? Looking at the list above, I’d be happy to go with lots of the suggestions and so I think we’ll get a better sense from aggregating our preferences.

4 Likes

And I can supply DDOS.

1 Like

Sonic Youth?

2 Likes

@jack_on_fire

Drug slang gets crazier every year :wink:

I’m definitely up for joining in with a new Listening Club after the R.E.M. one finishes. Would be happy with either of these as I’m not massively familiar with either of their back catalogue so it would be good to do one which will hopefully also lead to a bit of discovery for me as well this time.

Me too! And all the other weird shit like Unrequited Narcissit and Carve Your Initials Into The Wall Of The Night.

:grinning::smiley::smile:

Just noticed this thread, have I got a suggestion for you guys.

1 Like

Request all you want, it’s the voting that counts :wink:

1 Like

Just think of all the glorious music we could be listening to on a weekly basis with Neil Young. The genius 70’s into the pissed off transition to Geffen fuck you albums, into grunge era 80’s, then we just stop it after 2001’s ‘silver gold’ because 21st century Neil is so blase. Not trying to sway any votes for tomorrow or anything :smile::joy:

1 Like

That’s all very persuasive, but I’m sad it seems you’re not into Chrome Dreams II…for me that’s the last essential one. Not to jump the gun on NYLC chat! When we do it, we should squeeze in some discussion of those extra Archive releases (Fillmore East 1970 among the best live albums I can think of).

I like the Cat Power suggestion, for an artist with a fairly slim but interesting discography we could cover in a month or so. In a similar spirit, The Walkmen? 7 albums, including Pussy Cats.

Listening to Extra Painful as I type this and still up for Yo La Tengo, all the same. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sleater kinney!

4 Likes

Oh don’t get me wrong I’ll listen to them all, I just figure most would want to fart off with 21st century Neil. ‘Greendale’ has some good moments, so does ‘Le Noise’. He’s just so prolific could take a three years for a listening club of NY. Thats all good by me however.

If we throw in non-studio releases yes need to include the archives stuff, rust never sleeps, unplugged, etc.

Some others I wouldn’t mind diving into:

Talking Heads
Steely Dan
Captain Beefheart
Frank Zappa
Kinks
Wilco/Uncle Tupelo
Ryan Adams
Mogwai
Swans

Times this… have been spending time with Aja over the past couple of weeks on the back of the Steely Dan appreciation thread.

2 Likes

Neko Case

Pfft!
Mate the real name is Billy and the Corgansaurus.

1 Like

I think Pet Shop Boys would be great, such a back catalogue; as well as hugely popular, and more niche albums, also a musical, dance remixes, a new soundtrack to Battleship Potemkin…
Also, Sparks and Interpol from a purely selfish point of view, always looking to discover more of them. Depeche Mode would be good too…

There we have it - Hoboken 66 West End 34.

I’ll get a big poll thread on the go for all the suggestions we’ve had so far and put Pet Shop Boys in the mix as runners-up.