NFL Fantasy 2019

IN for Div 2

Iā€™m in

Iā€™m starting a new job soon so I will have less time to focus on this (I will have to do real work!). So Iā€™m oot this year.

I donā€™t think weā€™re going to get 24 participants this year, chums. So far I count 12 ins:

The_excession
dstean
Spit-fire
mildmanneredjanitor
incandenza
thewarn
jontosh
kenako
badmanreturns
trumpet
yeahbitterns
coolerthantv
wors

Might be some non-dissers out there too who havenā€™t responded, or canā€™t. Still early I guess, but if we donā€™t get more we could be back to one league?

Any lurkers who want to play, speak up!

Thatā€™s 13 by my reckoning!

Oh check you out Mr Counting.

Yes, it is 13.

Guess we need 16 minimum for two competitive leagues, so 3 more.

Could always find some non-DiS ringers if a couple of weeks pass and we havenā€™t found the numbers?

Henrik is in for both his leagues (keeper and I think Div 2, unless he got promoted). Heā€™s Danish Dynamite in keeper, probably similar for Div 2 (lmk if not)

Yep - I could probably find one or two if needs be.

HYG is also in.

Might have got pessimistic a bit early.

Linked up in the main NFL thread, just in case thereā€™s anyone in there who isnā€™t involved in fantasy

1 Like

Iā€™m up for joining a league if thereā€™s spaces, never played fantasy before though. How much effort are we talking about? Donā€™t mind spending a bit of time choosing my lineup every week but tbh Iā€™m probably not going to be very active on the trade/waiver front.

Thatā€™s all thatā€™s needed really. You can put as much or as little effort in as you like, the main things are turning up for the draft and setting a team each week. Entirely up to you further than that.

2 Likes

Is it me or is this year (seemingly) lessā€¦ clear than previous years*? Or has the main players changed a lot? Previous years Iā€™ve had a pretty good idea of who I want in the first 3-4 rounds, this year Iā€™ve not really got a clue. Not convinced of any pick in the second half of the first round onwards.

*Obvs this in based on projection, and usually goes out the window once week 1 starts, but I swear itā€™s usually a bit more stratified - these 5 RBs are in one tier, these 6 in another. Just seems really muddied to me right now.

Think itā€™s a combo of RBs having an ever-shorter guaranteed top-tier shelf-life/more committees and all the new potentially mega-productive (fantasy-wise) QBs coming through.

Plus the preponderance of teams who spread the ball out to loads of receivers - I canā€™t make head nor tail of how to rank or where to take the Rams receivers, for instance.

1 Like

Sounds good - count me in please! Have been invited to play with my brother in law and my US based colleagues before, but they all take it really, really seriously. Didnā€™t want to be the one guy who doesnā€™t pay as much attention and just annoys everyoneā€¦

Welcome man!

Like TE said, the only things you really have to do are turn up for the draft (you can auto-draft but generally youā€™ll end up with a worse team and the draft itself is also really fun), and pick your team each week before the Thursday game. The second one is the most important, as if you forget to pick a team against a couple of opponents you could skew the league results for everyone.

In terms of waivers, whilst you donā€™t have to do these much, you will probably get injuries or have players on byes at some point in the season so you will have to get involved. I also think itā€™s a good idea to pay attention to waivers in the early weeks of the season, as rookies or new players will emerge early in the season who werenā€™t originally drafted. Always good to pick these guys up if you can.

If itā€™s your first year I would say after the Sunday games (maybe at some point on Monday or Tuesday) just have a brief 15min look at NFL.com and check their ā€œwaiver recommendationsā€, then see if any of the guys are available to pick up. Again, you donā€™t have to do this, but I do think you get more out of it if you put in a bit of research each week.

1 Like

^this - thereā€™s a lot of randomness and variation, so half the time some chap you pick up from the unowned pool will finish as a top ten player.

But he has to be in your line up to count - just make sure you have a full lineup each week, even if it means throwing in some guys no-oneā€™s heard of, and youā€™re good. Worst thing in fantasy is playing against half full line ups.

1 Like

(& @kenako) Thanks! I follow the league closely enough to have picked up how fantasy works broadly as it comes up on a bunch of podcasts I listen to. Will definitely get a lineup in every week and Iā€™m probably looking forward to the draft more than anything else. Will just have to remember that good football players are not necessarily good fantasy football players!

1 Like