NFL Off-season and crimewave update thread

I’m not sure what you mean by the but Ravens/NFL tried to cover it up so they clearly thought he still had some value

Jamaal Charles released by the Chiefs. I wonder how much he’s got left in the tank after two major knee surgeries and having reached the RB line of no return (30 years old). He’ll catch on somewhere though, for sure, and he’ll always be one of my first ever fantasy heroes.

Wonder where he and AP will end up.

Nigh on zero thought guess - Charles to Miami; AP to Dallas

Charles and ajayi could make a lot of sense. Basically what they tried to do with foster but he broke. Will be interesting to see if AP goes for maximum money starting somewhere shit, or takes backup money to chase a ring

Kirk Cousins is going to end this offseason at least $24m richer.

EDIT: accidental reply to kenako.

accidental :frowning:

Yeah, I’m interested in that too. Prescott played a surprising amount under centre as the season went on, which would help, but I suspect a lot will come down to how much AP is willing to be second fiddle and take a pay cut, in order to play for his childhood team and go after a ring. Suspect the former will be a bigger problem than the latter.

Dolphins for Charles makes sense given their propensity to ‘star’ FAs, and he’d offer balance to the offense alongside possibly mentoring of Ajayi (who apparently isn’t as highly thought of by the Dolphins his second half of the season might suggest). He’d kinda make sense at the Bears too, Howard isn’t the best receiver and they have the cap space, but I’d rather they coached that up. Wherever he goes, he’d be best as a very low usage auxiliary back, which really limits his pay. He may retire I guess.

You could just see Evil Bill getting an injury free season out of him as an auxilliary to Blount and running all over everyone

Is it totally out of the question for Charles to go to the Raiders? His reputation in KC would plummet, but I just have this odd feeling he might.

that could work. Doubt Charles will care too much - any Chiefs fan who turns against him because of that would just be a bit of a belter. He’s the one who’s been released after all.

As far as the Bears go, wouldn’t mind one of the fullbacks going, getting Pryor for a sliiiightly risky deal would be nice, Doyle would be a nice oick up at TE, any decent O-tackle competition, Calais Campbell would probably be overkill, but what a lovely front 7 that would complete. And then any and all half decent secondary FAs. Just get em all in. All of them. If it means the only way they can all play is via Mr Muppet-esque combinations, I’m down with that.

Why are the Browns letting Pryor go? He’s like their only good player. He’s such a freak athlete.

I have no idea, but why aren’t they franchising him, even if just as a base to settle a long term contract? They have soooo much cap space. If he does shake free/reach open market, I’d at least like Chicago to offer him the first couple of years of what they were purportedly offering Jeffrey (around 14 M a year) mostly guaranteed.

Hard to know what the Browns are doing really. It’s fair enough if you’re undertaking a rebuild that you cut people, accumulate cash, stock up on high draft picks. But at some point in the build you have to actually start adding talent too…

totally agree. They’re the experts obvs, but releasing loads last year was kinda fair enough to recoup a load of comp picks this year, but this year it makes a lot less sense.

And for my 2p, I’m fine with releasing offensive skill players and any defensive players for a rebuild, but I’d keep hold of good O-linemen - they can be surprisingly long lasted, and I think the best way to develop a young QB is behind a good line (or conversely, the quickest way to ruin a decent prospect is by getting him seeing ghosts because he’s getting sacked 5 times a game)

Yeah. I guess it all comes down to QB for them as well. Doesn’t seem like there’s a sure fire thing in the draft. They’re surely not going to want to roll with RG3 / Kessler. I don’t think Romo or similar will be a solution. People seem high on Garoppolo but are they ready to commit?

Totally depends on their evaluation, but I’d give up the 12 pick for sure, even with a 4th comp on top or something. The guy you think is the best in the draft and a potential franchise QB from the first round? Yummy

Why not give up the number one if they’re convinced? He’s a more solid option than any rookie. Just depends what they’re after, and what anyone else is willing to give the Patriots for him.

Oh I agree, it just depends what their eval is of him. If they really like him and SF/Chi (or whoever else) are offering their first rounder, of course go for it. I just think the pats would take the 12th if no other offers, and the difference between 1st and 12th is pretty huge, so they’d have to be massively convinced.

Fwiw, I think the pats should just hold onto JG unless they get offered one of those first 3 picks. Unless their eval is that JG will be shown up with more play of course :wink:

Johnny Manziel’s back! In Pog form!

I know he’s a professional troll but the residual heat of this take is still keeping skip’s house warm https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/464555582318731264