NFL Off season thread 2021

Definitely not the worst top 10 receiver of the past 10-15 years.

Never came close to warranting the pick but stayed on rosters for a decade or so, so fair play to him

Reckon he’s a shoo-in for the WR2 or flex option on my bye-week emergency hall of fame fantasy team.

For the kicker one, what we need is a sliding scale. He makes every kick under 50 yards, then for each yard back it becomes 2% less likely - he’s got a 20% chance to make it at 90 yards out. That would take some thinking about.

Reckon it’s still worth the Number 1 pick for anything guaranteed.

League-wide FG% was 84.6% last year. XP was 93%. Even if you don’t kick him over 60 yards you’re pushing those to 99.5% and 100%, and adding approx 0.3 FGs and 0.2 xPs made per game onto an average kicker.

Not sure there are many/any picks you can make in an NFL draft that are guaranteed to be more than a point per game better than the average NFL starter in their position

1 Like

Yes, I’m working my notice period atm

1 Like

Good statwork, but there are intangibles too. How much does having the greatest kicker of all time affect your philosophy offensively? The tempation to not go for it and miss out on potential touchdowns. What’s the opportunity cost of not going for TDs? What we need is figures for expected points/drive for every starting point and… and that’s really enough now, isn’t it? @hip_young_gunslinger you diabolical…

1 Like

You’d almost certainly end up with much better starting positions for drives because teams would go for it more often to try and avoid giving the ball back. They’d also be more likely to try long, clock-killing drives in order to limit the amount of drives you get if you’re guaranteed to score on all of them.

I think this hypothetical superkicker has the potential to ruin football for everyone.

New Mars Volta material?

5 Likes

The owners of the other 31 teams would approve a rule change to eliminate the problem.

Is Greg Williams still in the league? Just set a bounty for any DE or LB who delivers a season-ending injury to the HSK.

1 Like

Christ, had no idea this was a thing. Fucking bleak

I mean, I’m glad they are doing this, but… what the actual fuck? How would that have been legal? Any time you think the NFL is moving forwards you get a look behind the curtain and this sort of thing pops up.

2 Likes

I guess the NFL didn’t invent the concept… Just shows how deeply embedded this kind of racism in medical / insurance / educational institutions.

Never even thought of that, that’s much worse!

This is a good article on its widespread use in the US.

https://www.healthcentral.com/article/health-disparities-race-norming

Titans get: Julio + 6th rounder (2023)

Falcons get: 2nd rounder (2022) + 4th rounder (2023)

Titans pick up the Julio’s contract IN FULL

1 Like

Really like that for the Titans, given that their division will be absolute garbage this year and they’re a playoff team already I don’t blame them for going all-in this year.

2 Likes