NFL Week 13- Battle for AFC East Supremacy

Fucking hell man :pensive:

It’s blown my mind a bit that DeMaryius Thomas was that young, he always seemed like the elder statesman of him and Emmanuel Sanders when they were both in Denver. He reminded me of someone like Andre Johnson, who you’d hear nothing about between games but would reliably pile up about 1200 yards and double digit TDs every year regardless of who was throwing him the ball.

33 is no age.

2 Likes

“Fake slide” - yay or nay?

Top heel work but absolute nay, obvs.

2 Likes

what are the safety concerns?

Feels like at some point a Lamar-like QB will pull on amazing run including a couple of beautiful jukes but it will be blown dead because it’s interpreted as a fake slide, but I guess that’s the price we have to pay.

I guess if defenders can no longer see if a QB is giving themselves up they’ll be more likely to tackle them just in case

1 Like

hmm,

“Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on-field officials at that point,” Steve Shaw, the NCAA’s national coordinator of football officials, wrote in a bulletin. “The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact. To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 — Dead Ball and Loose Ball.”

seems like they’re saying it’s unfair to trick the defense because they’ve afforded QBs too much protection. i can see their point tbf. i do like it as a move though

1 Like

the whole point of sliding is to stop being smashed by the defence. if you can fake slide then the opponent should be able to fucking cream you, fake or not. :man_shrugging:

scummy move for cowards IMO.

2 Likes

There are a load of other situations where defenders are expected to make split second adjustments to avoid penalties (roughing the passer, hit on defenceless receiver) regardless of their momentum or whether or not the whistle has blown, and for me this should be another of those. Unless you’re literally mid-tackle when the QB is sliding then you should be able to adjust and avoid contact, and if you get suckered in by a fake slide then more fool you.

1 Like

Yep - my thoughts exactly. Before I saw the footage I was expecting some athletically incredible move where he was appearing to slide but legs were a few cm above the ground for a second or something. This was basically another type of feint as far as I’m concerned.

don’t hugely mind quarterbacks getting totalled (within reason) tbh. some of the tackles I see get flagged are fucking nonsense.

2 Likes

Especially once they’re out of the pocket. Once you’re running everyone should be treated the same, running back, receiver, Tom Brady, Lamar Jackson. Don’t care.

2 Likes

Great news, it’s time for the annual NFL tradition of everyone getting their knickers in a twist because someone guaranteed a victory!

I’m surprising my son with tickets to the Seahawks v Bears game on Boxing Day :smile: prices came way down on the second hand market for what people are calling “the game of all games” and “the big one” etc. Maybe both teams will forget how to defend and it’ll be fun.

I’m hopeful he won’t hate it. He’s been watching games on tele with me, but he’s only 4 1/2 so you never know.

1 Like

Lawrence has had an awful year and the longer Meyer stays the more risk there is of him becoming a bust. There’s going to be a glut of good offensively minded head coaching candidates available (Eric Bieniemy, Brian Daboll, Byron Leftwich, Kellen Moore) so as long as Khan has no issues admitting he was wrong to hire him it’s hard to see Meyer coming back next year (cue Meyer signing a multi-year extension).

1 Like

What we watching

• Chiefs - Raiders
  • Ravens - Browns
  • One of the other ones

0 voters

Redzone 4 life

2 Likes

New thread Shirley :sweat_smile:

Ah Steved got us covered