NFL Week 4 Edition: They're not sending their best

2 Likes

Fucking HELL :smiley:

2 Likes

Talanoa Hufanga maybe the most exciting defensive player in the league rn?

as if he was a 5th rounder

1 Like

been watching some Troy Polamalu videos because of ^ that dude, then watched some interviews with Troy

amazing that somebody could be such a warrior on field and the sweetest, most unassuming guy (with such a soft voice!)

1 Like

3 Likes

highest scoring team in the league by nearly 3pts per gameā€¦

1-3

Pickett named starter in Pittsburgh. Given that he looked out of his depth against the Jets Iā€™m not sure giving him his first career start against Buffalo will do wonders for his confidence, but as someone who owns the Bills D in fantasy Iā€™m all for Mike Tomlinā€™s gutsy decision-making.

Thought he looked good. 3 picks looks bad on paper but only one of them was even remotely his fault

1 Like

First hits the receiver right in the chest.
Third is a hail Mary so doesnā€™t count.
Second is a bad but safe throw turned into a pick by the receiver tipping it into the air

Plus the other options are Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph

3 Likes

Given its an almost certain loss Iā€™d play one of the QBs I wasnā€™t invested in rather than risk destroying Pickettā€™s confidence, especially given that theyā€™ve got the Bucs, Dolphins and Eagles next. Iā€™d have let Trubisky get the crap kicked out of him for those games before giving Pickett the bye week and an easier looking game against the Saints to begin his tenure as starter.

1 Like

Heard a couple of pundits this week say that Tua should consider retiring because heā€™s had multiple conclusions. Is this a widely-held opinion?

Iā€™m fully onboard with sports having to make big changes about head injuries (and heading in football, etc) given the obvious links to dementia, but quitting because of two concussions, one of which was because he was pushed over. Is that right?

I wouldnā€™t say widely held, no. But the more concussions you have, the more likely you are to have more. And there is this:

In short, a second concussion soon after a first is incredibly bad news for the brain. What he should have considered is not playing four days after he had to be helped off the field with a brain back injury, but that ship has sailed.

How he got the concussion isnā€™t really relevant, an ACL injury on a non-contact play isnā€™t any less season-ending than one in contact. I donā€™t know if you saw the aftermath of both concussions, but they can be summarised as Fucking Hell.

As for his career, who knows. The receiver Brandin Cooksā€™ career seemed to be on itā€™s last legs after he had four concussions in two years between 2018-9 and missed a load of games, but heā€™s had two 1000 yard seasons since then. Tuaā€™s got to decide whatā€™s important to him. I suspect the pundits are thinking of Andrew Luck who famously retired out of nowhere because he didnā€™t want to risk his long term health - itā€™s not unprecedented.

4 Likes

I saw the first one, and he looked in a fair bit of trouble. Iā€™ve not seen the second one.

Itā€™s really strange for me hearing people discussing concussions responsibly when the other sports I like hardly even remove players from the pitch, even if theyā€™re showing clear signs of being in serious distress.

Unforunately 0.5% of these people will have any power over the issue.

The other 99.5%, wellā€¦times are a-changinā€™ but then again they put Tua back on the field 4 days after an obvious concussion. Joe Burrow has only played 30 odd games and apparently canā€™t remember half of them.

Yeah, and it took the small matter of a $1,000,000,000 injury settlement to move the discussion forward.

Luke Kuechly retired at age 28 too after three concussions in as many seasons. I got concussed in a bike accident when I was 11 and it was awful, could barely eat or drink anything for a week and had to be kept awake for ages so I didnā€™t die in my sleep. I havenā€™t ridden a bike since.

3 Likes

The Kuechly one where he was crying was just awful.

1 Like

fucking hell, I didnā€™t know that about Joe?

I know heā€™s taken a battering behind that dodgy offensive line, but thatā€™sā€¦ idk, lost for words at that. another one of the gameā€™s young stars who shouldnā€™t be out there anymore