• quiet
  • nice scenery for walks etc
  • good places to eat
  • decent transport links
  • within 90 minutes or so of Manchester
  • with affordable hotels, b&bs or hostels

Shoot…

Glossop?

Peak District? Castleton, Edale and the Hope Valley.
Nice scenery. Plenty of nice walkies to go on. Only half hour from Manchester on the train. Think there’s a bus route along there that goes up to Ladybower and all that sort of stuff.

or somewhere further into the peaks like edale or hope valley

Weirdly i’ve been to everywhere mentioned so far within the last year or two. All nice.

Hebden Bridge

North Wales? Llandudno? Go for a walk around the Great Orme and that. Get the train down to Betsy and/or Ffestiniog.

Great place. There’s a big pub on the main road by the canal, i think called the Old Gate, which must sell a dozen ales and has a stove fire. Sat in there one day last year after watching a matinee film at the old picture house, reading George Orwell essays and eating massive chunky chips. Was dead warm and a bit wet so the windows were steamed up and there was a nice hum about the place, lots of walkers popping in. Sat there for hours slowly stewing, must’ve had ten pints. Reckon that was one of my favourite ever afternoons. If you can combine those things with a decent gig at the Trades Club i think you’d have the perfect day.

Wear wellies

Ravenglass.
Tiny village, tiny train, coastal saltmarsh, Roman bathhouse, Muncaster Castle, Muncaster Fell, Eskdale, crazy road (Hardknott Pass), Roman fort.
It’s nice

Oldham.

North Yorkshire is amazing.