Niche things that you're picky about

alright Daniel Ricciardo

this is good but will probably get no appreciation

1 Like

i am SUCH a prick about pizza needing to be cooked right

people say mine is underdone, people are rubbish

Knew weā€™d eventually find something to agree on! :+1:

Whereabouts do you like the pizza scissors to go?

Donā€™t like eating off a plate with any sort of pattern or motif on it

2 Likes

ā€œNiche thingsā€

chairs. why are so many of them so bad, and why isnā€™t everyone else noticing?

7 Likes

Erotica.

Go onā€¦

Being picky about how you hang out the washing or stack the dishwasher is the least niche, most mainstream variety of being anal imaginable.

1 Like

This is so true! Every time itā€™s like ā€œoh man what a night, kinda wish I was still out thereā€¦how am I gonna get to slā€¦:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:ā€

really not a fan of the number of new restaurants these days with nasty stools or benches or wooden chairs with shite lumbar support

6 Likes

Organising my CD collection alphabetically and chronologically.

6 Music presenters

1 Like

Well.

A Carbonara should have no more than 4 main ingredients. These are pasta, egg, cheese and bacon. Mushroom? No. Onion? No. Cream? Absolutely not. I prefer, actually fuck it, this thread is about niche preferences, require, the following varieties of each:

Pasta: as above, only Rummo will do. Most recipes specify something from the strand family, usually a tagliatelle or a linguine, but I find rigatoni to be the winner here. It picks up the sauce without getting saturated in it the way a conchiglie or farfalle tends to.

Eggs: 6 free range medium eggs, the deeper orange the yolks the better. I use only the yolks from 5 and the entire egg from the 6th so they donā€™t end up being a gloopy mess.

Cheese: Pecorino Romana. Harder to find than your average parmesan but worth it. I also grate it with a Microplane grater I bought for this very purpose.

Bacon: you know what? Supermarket lardons are fine. Iā€™ve tried it with guanciale but find it too fatty and difficult to cut. Some perverts use sausage but the less said about them the better.

Cook your pasta to al dente with a lot of salted water and save a bit at the end. Grate around 30g of cheese per person. Fry the bacon until itā€™s crispy, on a griddle pan if you have one. Drain most of the fat from the pan and add the pasta when itā€™s cooked, then immediately add the egg and around a quarter of the cheese. Stir it until the cheese has melted then repeat twice more. Garnish with the rest of the cheese and some fresh black pepper (some people use three different sorts of peppercorn here but thatā€™s above my faff threshold) and baby, thatā€™s some good nara.

I donā€™t care if this isnā€™t the way actual Italians make it or that this is the longest DiS post I have ever made. Good Carbonara is worth it.

11 Likes

Picky as hell. Sufficiently niche. I think we may have a winner.

I have printed off a copy of this post to stick in my recipe file at home.

1 Like

pour a pint of cream over that and youā€™ve got yourself a proper cabonara

3 Likes

fucking hell YES

I agree with most of this - but I add some dry vermouth to the bacon, and grate in some nutmeg . Plus use some of the pasta water to loosen the sauce

Upon rereading I realise I said I save some pasta water but then did not say what I did with it (add it in bits when you stir in the cheese so the sauce isnā€™t too thick). Have not tried using vermouth or nutmeg, may give it a go in future.

1 Like