Nicholas Parsons RIP

Sad times for me :cry:

7 Likes

Awwww it had to happen eventually I guess.

5 Likes

Seemed like a really good egg. Great age though - and seemed sharp and good humoured right to the end.

4 Likes

Thrown into a tough working environment, he was forced to resort to jokes and impersonations to win over the Glasgow shipbuilders who regarded him as a posh boy. The experience helped launch his show business career.

hahaha fair play to him that must have been a brutal training ground

1 Like

Ohhh noooooo.

That’s really sad :frowning: Hell of a run to present Just a Minute for so long though.

he had such a friendly face

1 Like

Without hesitation, repetition, or deviation too.

So sad, his voice is such a part of my childhood

3 Likes

96 - that’s a good old innings. He must have been a pensioner pretty much when I first saw him on telly doing Sale of the Century (Live from Norwich!) as a kid.

4 Likes

Loved him on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, where his relentless good humour seemed to completely baffle everyone else.

4 Likes

Oh man. I love Just A Minute. :frowning:

RIP

Really, really sad about this. The TV and I are big fans of him on Just a Minute. Such a wonderful and warm-sounding person. His banter with Paul Merton was excellent.

4 Likes

Absolutely devastated. Just a Minute is an institution.

2 Likes

sad news, such great sharp humour and always came across as a thoroughly decent chap.
good innings all the same.

1 Like

Yeah, this is really sad. He genuinely seemed like a lovely man. Great bants with Paul Merton on Just a Minute.

Edit: as @shucks has just said and I failed to read

3 Likes

Yeah it should be called Just 96 Years

1 Like

Oh no :frowning:

Always enjoy dipping into Just a Minute when there’s good guests on. Seemed to be in great condition for his age. Considered trying to get to his Fringe show last year but I think he’d sold out the run, fair play.

Used to have a friend (via the internet) who works as a Radio 4 producer and she’s been the whistle blower on Just a Minute for the last few series which always struck me as an absolute dream job.

7 Likes

Just a Minute is so good and he was perfect for it.

3 Likes

Barry Cryer was a guest on Richard Herring’s Edinburgh Fringe podcast a few years back and had some great Parsons anecdotes.

My favourite was one where backstage on Just a Minute Ross Noble was talking about Richard Pryor being his favourite comedian, talking about his trailblazing standup and about how he once set himself on fire while on crack. Parsons looks on in surprise.

A few minutes later Cryer hears Parsons turn to someone else. “Have you heard about Richard Briers?”

11 Likes