NIGHTSHIFT - DiS late night mixtape thread

I figure im making this as if i was trying to give a pal something to listen to at 2 in the morning instead of making a call or sending a dm they’d regret when sober :wink:

Top idea.

1 Like

Aye, good idea.

Can someone edit the thread title?

1 Like

Done, looks like I still have privileges

1 Like

Number of tracks can be fluid. Mine’s got 18 as well at present.

Should be interesting, because we’ll all have slightly different tastes and we’ll all use music differently dependent on mood, etc. If i made a playlist tonight it would be different to the one i made last night.

I mean, some people might not even use music. Could be bits of spoken word, radio, general noise, commentary, poems, whatever.

3 Likes

Reckon it’s probably fine as long as it’s like 40-60 minutes.

2 Likes

18 x William Basinski drone loops

3 Likes

changed my vote to Definitely IN

Mine is gonna be a meditation on urban loneliness, interspersed with this

1 Like

It’s so long since i made a mix. Missed that sense of “oh wow” when two completely different songs end up sequencing really well, and you see something new in them because of it. This was a great idea mate. Appreciating some tracks in fresh ways now.

1 Like

forest swords already used one of the tracks i’ve selected in a mix he did! :sweat_smile:

NIGHTSHIFT #1 - @hankscorpio

NOTES:
I made this playlist in front of a fireplace, on a bottle of red wine and that woozy, mellow feeling after a late dinner. My late nights now are spent on the sofa rather than at a party or a club and I wanted to try and capture the same kind of curled up coziness you get in a dusky basement bar rather than the euphoric post rager comedown I would have been making five years ago. It won’t be to everyone’s taste, best enjoyed with a slight booze fuzz. Trigger warning: contains jazz

22 Likes

@hankscorpio this is SO good. As a jazz fiend this is perfect for a real small hours list. I got through most of it last night, headphones in the dark and a small amount of strong booze, but it got so soothing around Badbadnotgood that I had to drift off and pick it up again today.

Lots of stuff I’m gonna investigate further, in particular Wilma Archer and Nightmares on Wax, loved those two tracks. Great hearing Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday and Twin Peaks music recontextualised to make me really listen to them again.

Upright bass grooves definitely sound better at night.

5 Likes

Aw thanks, I’m thrilled you liked it! Find something so soothing about that noir-ish jazz that’s perfect for late nights. Thanks for listening to it :smiley:

2 Likes

I havent listened to much current jazz so this is cool. one thing with new jazz recording is the sound is usually great cos only the real sound nerds that have $50,000+ to spend on hi-fi systems listen to it (generalization that holds true in my experience).

Some highlights:

• Really liked the last third of the Skalpel track. Great snare sound and those synths into the sax are v nice
  • Theme from Moonless really fits the nightshift theme… like it should be the theme song for this thread. Wish it was like 15 minutes longer so I could really let that sax and bass wash completely over me
  • That droning sub bass on Karin was enough to put me in a mild trance
  • Nightmares on Wax are perfect for late night listening, Les Nuits has been a staple on my playlists for years

good stuff @hankscorpio

7 Likes

yeah that skalpel track came on as i went to the shop for some tinnies last night on the way to the bonfire. smell of burning wood in the air, streetlights glowing and haloed by smoke, couldn’t resist lighting a fag to really get into the mood. perfect.

2 Likes

Got this lined up for some post pub train listening later. But miffed you picked a Bohren track as I was gonna do that but I can’t stay mad at anyone who picks Charlie Brown’s Theme.

1 Like

Sorry man, I pretty much wanted to build the playlist around a Bohren vibe!

1 Like

Aye, this is great. I don’t like jazz. Never really thought about why much. Guess it’s something to do with the unpredictability, idk, i like knowing what’s coming in songs. I expect others are the opposite. That Skalpel/Bohren double-header though’s the sort of thing i can get behind. Been listening to those two on repeat late at night smirking to myself and imagining myself in some sort of New York skyscraper hotel piano bar.

The Nightmares on Wax track’s a belter as well. I know the sample but i’m going to resist Googling it just for fun. It’ll come to me in the middle of the night in about ten years.

Hope Sandoval for me’s the standout modern vocalist. That track after Strange Fruit was a real joy.

3 Likes

NIGHTSHIFT #2 - @ma0sm

NOTES:
I’m not in control, not really. Well not the part that wrote this. The part with the biggest ego. It’s the rest of it that makes things happen. I spend a lot of time on trains now. A lot of commuting, a lot of going to things. People think it must be tough, but it’s not. I enjoy it. I struggle to think usually, I struggle to keep concentration. In a train I don’t have this problem. I’m in a slightly heightened state of awareness, enough to keep my brain active, but not enough to overstimulate it. People are around me, I can’t just browse shit things on the internet, I feel their silent judgement. I want to appear like I’m an interesting person. I judge those around me, so I know they’re doing the same. I don’t want to talk to them or meet them, but I want to be the best person I can be. My headphones are on. They’re always on. I like people so much more when I can’t hear their voices, hear the words they’re saying. Visually I assume the best, think that we have a lot in common. I project a personality on them. All the while I’m listening to what I want to listen to. I’ve got my big headphones on. I could be listening to anything. Anything I want. It’s my freedom in this public place. Whatever I do, this is mine. I want to listen to something else, something more appropriate. I don’t want to think of myself as a commuter, but a traveler. I want the romance, for there to be some sort of significance to it all. It’s not time wasted, it’s just time. I listen to music. The music changes my perception of where I am, who is around me. I am so easily influenced by the sounds in my ears, more than I’d like to admit. I judge people based on the context of the sounds which are connected with them. Coincidence, of course, but do I believe in fate? Rationally, and if asked cold, of course not, but in very particular situations like these? They pass the time. It’s all I have left.

TRACKLIST:

Artist Song Duration
Library Tapes Fields 01:58
Tuxedomoon Toreador del Amor 05:11
The Keys Transformations 01:20
Carbon Based Lifeforms Gryning 07:22
Les Pionniers De La Musique Congolaise De Leopoldville À Kinshasa Kalala Badi Mwene 05:07
Boy Azooga Walking Thompson’s Park 00:55
The Dead Texan Glen’s Goo 04:07
Lars Horntveth Mars Bar (Call For Gary!) 05:29
Amadou Balaké Yéllé 04:03
1900 Den modernitet som aldrig kom 04:49
Jam City Black Friday 04:55
Deaf Center White Lake 06:35
12 Likes