NIGHTSHIFT - DiS late night mixtape thread

new not knew holy hell…keep drinking brandon :smile:

very thoughtful feedback here, cheers. i guess i’m a person with a channel hopping state of mind, which probably accounts for the randomness. plus when i was growing up, for dark nights of the soul you turned to basslines and drugged kind of beats. think that’s always stayed with me. i could have gone a different route, but listening back there seems to be a consistent emotional theme at least, if not a musical one - i guess i was trying to channel that romantic, heartbroken kind of feeling (due to current personals). idk what the term for it is - it’s like feeling completely hopeless and like anything is possible at the same time (that cymande track captures it perfectly, the music being funky af and putting you in a head nodding groove, but the lyrics being pretty dark on their own).

it was a lot of fun putting this together, and it also helped me remember why music can be so fkn important during particular periods in life.

also thanks to @bugduv for letting me take part.

2 Likes

Also yeah, marielle is phenomenal and i can’t recommend enough

1 Like

Just finished this mix up, needless to say fantastic. Being a big jazz fan myself great selections, a bunch I’ve never heard of. Some initial thoughts:

Loved the Skapel tune. Just your old tap your foot and bob your head kind of jazzy-ness here.

Big fan of Bohren, its about time for a new LP no?

Ahh the Birdman, Charlie Parker. Love the old tape hiss of his old jazz recordings, a short one albeit here but still perfect.

Need to know who is tickling the ivory on the Nightmares on Wax tune, fantastic.

Cant ever go wrong with Badbadnotgood. Loved Cosmic Vibrations with Zeb.

Beauty of mixes is you never know what direction a person can go in based on mood and feeling, thought the last 4-5 tunes were perfect with some vocals with Hope, Billie and Beth.

Steven Morgan diving in next!!!

DiSer’s are the best!!! Great Thread!

4 Likes

Another great mix here. Tons of stuff I’ve never heard. Initial thoughts:

Loved the smokey bar room jazz of Pink Narcissus

Forgot about the Cafe Del Mar mix tapes, used to listen to a lot of those back in the day, need to dive in but thoroughly enjoyed the Carbon Based Lifeforms tune

Kalala Badi Mwene, a nice change of pace. Something you would hear splattered on a Wes Anderson soundtrack to me.

Dead Texan obviously as most people know me from the ambient threads major fan. Listened to Adam Bryanbaums A Winged Victory For the Sullen _Atomos _today ironically. Major Love of all things SOTL, Dead Texan, A Winged Victory for the Sullen. For anyone that hasnt heard the Dead Texan LP its a must.

Yelle, almost shit my pants thinking this was an afrobeat Simple Man cover by Skynyrd to start. But fantastic xylophone action going on with that acoustic guitar.

Awesome stuff!

4 Likes

wowsies, I don’t know if I should come up with a NIGHTSHIFT mix, mine are total 360’s of these gems.

2 Likes

Such a treat trying to figure this last playlist out. Thought it might be too long, but now it finishes too quickly. The about-turn around the Tom Waits track caught me offguard at first, but those tracks make it sort of a play in three parts. Top stuff.

1 Like

That Balam Acab track’s the pick of the bunch for me. Broadcast, Carla dal Forno, Ben Salisbury and Onra next best. This is definitely a great 3am, can’t drink any more, blankly staring at screens playlist i’ll investigate regularly.

1 Like

NIGHTSHIFT #4 - @Gert

NOTES:
Lots of my musical discoveries are made when I’m shifted late at work, and researching records seems far more appealing than my official duties. In the strange dim empty office world, I find escape in mildly exotic folk pop and floaty instrumental interludes. Try on my shirt, it looks like it might fit you.

9 Likes

That Bernice record is lush :heart:

Digging the playlists I’ve heard so far. Trying to finalise my own entry, can’t seem to let it go though…

that 2nd track’s blown me away

1 Like

came here to post this, that bernice tune properly captures a mood doesn’t it. also loving that nyanza night one.

well played, @Gert, this has introduced me to some great stuff and also helped me get through a rough shift at work :slight_smile:

Thanks for making your mix @anon18868718 - been playing it over the last couple of weeks. Great couple of openers in Burial and Roots Manuva - loved Run Come Save Me at the time, but lost touch with his stuff over the years.

Noted down, Cymande, Marille V Jakobsons, Balam Akab, Carla dal Forno and Orna as other standouts.

That Onra track in particular is a beauty - wish it wasn’t so short.

Tom Waits is of course always welcome in any capacity. Had a number of his on my longlist, but they didn’t really fit the overall feel, so ended up getting cut.

Hope you’re doing ok anyway gh - I’ve seen you’re going through some difficult stuff at the minute.

3 Likes

Late to the party but would love to be included in this

thanks mate :slightly_smiling_face: glad you liked the playlist

1 Like

Agree with shrewbie on that second track. Guess vocally it sounds like Donovan a bit, but beyond that it’s like nothing i’ve heard. Must’ve listened to it twenty times.

feels like it’s been ages since my last night shift mix fix

1 Like

Oooh. Rozi Plain. Nice. Can’t do spotify so have been youtube playlisting them instead. Will be onto yours next.

I’ll post the next one tonight.

Gert’s playlist is an absolute belter. Ivor Cutler following that Peaking Lights track is a particular highlight. Rozi Plain’s absolutely brilliant aswell, how’s she not huge?

Two or three of the tracks normally wouldn’t appeal as much. Vivian Stanshall and Joachim Cooder are probably wouldn’t immediately grab my ear outside of the context of a playlist, but listening to them a few times i’m pretty sure i’ve got a weird mental block about really appreciating good songwriting.

4 Likes

glad you like it bug! And it’s great that everyone else likes Owiny Sigoma band. Saw them at Rich Mix a few years ago because they looked interesting and their album Nyanza became a favourite.

Whenever I listen to that Viv Stanshall song I go around singing “Pork pies in foyer” to myself for several days

@anon18868718 I really dug your playlist, lots of it (the electronic stuff) not the type of thing I normally listen to but it made me want to remedy that. Should probably spend some time with Burial and Flying Lotus. Of things that are more within my grasp, loved Cymande and Broadcast (who I’ve seen tons of raving about but never checked out). That Gonjasufi featuring track is great too, I like it when he’s reined in a bit from making the deliberately ugly music he’s been putting out lately

1 Like