NIGHTSHIFT - DiS late night mixtape thread

I quite liked not knowing what some tracks were and having to work it out myself. I lost tabs of what was what about halfway through and had to do a bit of manual searching and only really clocked once i’d recognised Broken Social Scene and could work back. A small thing, but i am quite conscious of only really investigating music via Spotify, and it being a bit got, got, got, need sometimes.

1 Like

I ain’t got a Spotify account and don’t really have any plans to get one so Mixcloud is the playlist-maker for me!

2 Likes

Oops.

I will do this.

And also finish mine.

1 Like

Really liked Steve D’s. Mondkopf and Barnt tracks were excellent.

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone, this got put up when I was on holiday so I didn’t really pay it much attention. It’s on Mixcloud because a couple of the songs aren’t on Spotify (including the Traumprinz track which is the first song I thought absolutely had to be on it) but also because I wanted people to listen to it as a whole at least once as it’s harder to skip tracks you already know or that don’t grab you immediately that way. Thanks again to @bugduv for sorting it and also to @ma0sm for doing the Spotify play list.

1 Like

Think this is my favourite one so far, so thanks to @bugduv for the post-holidays bump.

Kinda wish I’d learnt to mix mine properly instead of bunging everything together on Spotify. Still, no point spilling milk, as they say.

have really missed these, cheers @Steved

I missed the last couple of these and just realised I’ve picked the same Mirrorring track as @shrewbie. Cue some hasty redrafting before mine goes up.

I listened to the first three or four of these again in various states of intoxication over the Christmas break. They all fit the bill beautifully and I made some great discoveries. Love this thread.

I’ve got eleven of these bad boys on backlog. I’ll make sure i get one a week up. Apologies if i’ve not replied to some messages. All received with thanks.

6 Likes

this was great, really enjoyed it @Steved

This is lovely - the Christina Vantzou in particular.

NIGHTSHIFT #7 - @Tiergarten

(Needs a fair bit of cross fading and there’s some long stuff in there, but it works. Hope you dig.)

6 Likes

Thanks @bugduv! Should have put together a bit more in the way of bio really. Might do an extended one for Mixcloud.

Had this on in the car all week, really like the Rameses III track.

1 Like

Was enjoying these - has it died a death now?

There appears to have been a back log - mine is in it I think - so maybe we could start agaib

Been playing catch up recently and rinsing @Tiergarten’s beautiful mix over the last couple of days.

Not previously familiar with much on there and lots to switch off and sink into. Great imagery on the Evening Hymns track too.

2 Likes

Mine’s up on mixcloud (by mistake, fluffed the protocol), but yes, it would be great if this was kickstarted again…

Sorry, just been a bit busy working. I’ll get a fresh one posted tonight and aim for a new one every week. We’ve got around ten in the locker.

The Giles Corey and Midwife tracks on the last one were brilliant.

1 Like

NIGHTSHIFT #8 - @colossalhorse

For my Nightshift mix I started by tried to capture that feeling of being alone in the heart of the city at night. It’s strangely intoxicating, being in a bubble of calm solitude amidst all the hectic goings on. Headphones on, shoulders hunched. For a variety of reasons I’ve spent a lot of time in that state – working late shifts, living alone in a city, having musical taste that wasn’t shared by anyone I knew at the time. Though we start out stargazing with Christina Ott’s Sexy Moon we’re soon caught up in the heady blur of passing headlights and the giddy hubbub of night-time revellers. The night feels teeming with possibility – like any doorway could lead to something wicked and wild. The more extroverted might find it easy to just slide into a slipstream and end up on an adventure, and every now and again even the more cautious among us might find ourselves caught in a riptide and ending up doing god knows what and wake up god knows where. But more often than not we glide in and out amongst other people’s lives, with all their joys and dramas drifting by us.

It’s hard not to fall in love with. Then the mix shifts to a more solitary place. Once we’re back home and the night is over you can still feel its pull on you. Most of the nights promise is, inevitably, unfulfilled. Even if you managed to snatch at a chance on your journey there are still a million more gone begging – thousands of people you could have fallen in love with, grand conversations about The Meaning Of It All you could have had, perfect crystalline dancefloor moments spent suspended in some perfect chorus you could have found yourself in. Its part of the pact we make when we fall in love with the city at night – we have to accept that it can’t love us back.

10 Likes