NIGHTSHIFT - DiS late night mixtape thread

Perfect timing man, just about to pour myself a whisky.

Up to Yesh’ Te, really enjoying this so far. Highlight so far has been the Limerence/The Letter double-header.

That was a load of nonsense wasn’t it haha

This is exactly why Bugduv’s manufactured a backlog of these mixes - so that just enough time passes between submission and posting for us all to feel mortally embarassed reading back the pretentious covering notes we wrote at the time… :wink:

Look forward to giving this a listen tonight. Thanks.

Damn - I missed this Saturday night when it would have been perfect. Gonna save it for the weekend I think.

And that’s my kind of nonsense :+1:

On my second listen after downloading all the tracks to piece it back together for offline listening. Seriously impressive to pull together such a cohesive mix (given that you have no control over mixing or transitions in Spotify) - as with all these mixes, largely stuff I haven’t heard but am face-palming for somehow missing out on. The use of a range of styles (Boris’ psych stuff, Milo, L’Orange) in amongst the late night IDM is fantastic. Highlights for me are Rival Consoles (Hopkins’-esque), Dalek (like late career Bowery Electric or Matt Elliott as he became more trip-hop), Gas (who I know but just haven’t got round to this one, what a gorgeous thrum he’s got going on this one), Rafael Anton Irrisari (need to explore more than the two albums I have so far) and Gidge (good hit rate!). Great, great mix.

I’m really glad so much of it landed with you man - I spent an inordinate amount of time returning to this and shuffling it around so I’m pleased it wasn’t all in vain!

I know we’ve still got a few of these to go and don’t want to step on @bugduv’s toes, but would anyone be interested in doing other mixes on different themes? Had a lot of fun listening to these and putting mine together; would be good to have an excuse to make more of them!

Also don’t want to step on @Prob500’s toes with the CD swaps, but would probably be similarish to that… late night music is probably one of the more interesting themes out there, but was thinking things like music for a rainy day, roadtrip/journey music, stuff along those lines. We could do a new theme every few months when we run out of mixtapes on the current them.

What do people think?

Sounds a lot like the CD swaps, with the caveat that there need not be a physical mix. Some of us really like that aspect of the mixtapes (quite a bit of thought goes into the packaging by some participants) but I can see that’s why the mixtape club numbers are quite low. Thematic mixes would be great (I enjoy doing them, I have to say). I think the key thing is to keep NIGHTSHIFT going, it seems to have been a bit quiet of late (particularly given that there are submissions in…)

Forgot to say how much I loved this mix! So much stuff I’d never come across (Deux Filles, Naka Naka and Algebra Suicide to name a few) that I’m diving into now. It maintains a brilliantly hazy, liminal vibe with melodies and voices drifting in and out really well. I haven’t had a chance to listen to it in the proper context yet but I’ve got it downloaded ready for the Friday night post-gig night train where I suspect it’ll be perfect.

i need to catch up on these!

Fair enough! Maybe there’s a way we can combine the two so people can participate either way, whether they want to put something physical together or not, but like I said don’t want to interfere in what @Prob500 has going on and it’s a cool thing as it is anyway.

I like the idea of combining the two (if I’m honest), simply because it increases the chance of feedback which even from this thread is relatively limited. Perhaps PM @Prob500 and see what they think.

Always fancied doing the mix CDs but don’t have the facility to burn a CD or the artistic ability to make any packaging for it so I’d welcome some crossover.

Prob’s away for a while, and did say he was happy for others to pick it up in the interim, so I wouldn’t worry about stepping on toes. For me, it did feel like a good time to take a wee break from the mix exchanges as I was probably starting to exhaust interesting picks for inclusion. A hiatus is a good opportunity to recharge my record collection.

I’ve enjoyed this thread and the format has been really convenient. Some good discoveries for further investigation already. Everyone would probably benefit from posting more feedback (myself included). As with the physical exchanges I imagine a lot of heart goes into these mixes, so it’s probably a little dispiriting to put them together and then get little reaction after the initial excitement seeing them posted up.

NIGHTSHIFT #10 - @drspaceman

Ooh, how exciting.

Never got round to writing a blurb for this, so take it away Dylan Thomas:

“It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters’-and-rabbits’ wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboatbobbing sea. The houses are blind as moles (though moles see fine to-night in the snouting, velvet dingles) or blind as Captain Cat there in the muffled middle by the pump and the town clock, the shops in mourning, the Welfare Hall in widows’ weeds. And all the people of the lulled and dumbfound town are sleeping* now.”

*listening to Spotify

Just finished this. Great mix. What a belter that opening track by Terry Callier was.

Great flow to this mix. That Prince and a piano track another major highlight. Nice work.

Thanks Neil :wink: