Nike & Kaepernick

I’m saying people are complicated and can have multiple motives. Him endorsing Nike doesn’t mean they are a nice company who are doing things for the right reasons.

Using this guy will have gotten them lots more attention that most other American athletes though.

I haven’t paid attention to anything about Nike for many years and would have had any idea they were even doing a campaign if it wasn’t for the controversy generated.

Also I don’t agree with the idea of heroes, and didn’t say that everything he did was motivated by money.

According to DiS, it seems there aren’t any nice companies who are doing things for the right reasons. It’s all about profit, the bottom line and fuck actually having any form of social conscience.

1 Like

that’s absolutely correct.

Just as true as the fact that the earth revolves around the sun

Anheuser-Busch InBev

1 Like

unverified

4 Likes

I think I’m done participating in these sorts of threads.

I don’t understand how you could prove otherwise.

https://www.b.co.uk/the-lists/non-profit/

I guess that’s on me for not understanding the meaning of the term company?

I’d call these organisations but maybe I’m wrong there.

But that’s whole the point– Nike don’t need the attention. They are the biggest sportswear company in the world, not some upstart brand trying to cause ‘controversy’. Also, Colin Kaepernick has endorsed Nike products since 2011, so it’s not like they signed him specifically for this.

You said “him protesting courageously for a good cause doesn’t also exclude the fact he might want to make a lot of money for himself for selfish reasons though”. Kaepernick was already making an absolute ton of money as an NFL quarterback. He chose to visibly protest violence against African-Americans and now no longer has a job. When his Nevada University shirt become one of the most popular in the US off the back of his protest, he donated all proceeds from his shirt sales to charity. None of what he has done would seem to be particularly motivated by ‘wanting to make a lot of money’ or ‘selfish reasons’ to me.

2 Likes

yes but supporting him will mean Nike is associated with being progressive and moral amongst their target demographics despite their record with labour practices and the fact that all companies are designed to exploit people.

If he doesn’t need or want the money at all then maybe he could cancel the campaign for extra publicity?

I think think there’s loads and loads of companies doing good things. Paying the wages they should be, being ethical making a positive difference smtp so many communities around the world.
You can’t judge all business by the pRactices of some of these multi nationals, totally different beast.
Business isn’t a bad word.

sorry, all businesses are bad

1 Like

(some are definitely worse than others though)

but isn’t profit just the difference between the value of people’s labour and the end product?

Like if people were actually paid completely fairly there would be no such thing as business or profit

Publicly traded companies, yeah. It’s literally illegal for them to do otherwise.

He’s got you there Lopes. Guess you must be a scumbag for running a business.

Or working for one.

don’t bother to argue with my point then will you