Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

HOLY HELL that Direct was amazing!!! I want to get all of the first party titles for both Switch and 3DS - Luigi’s Mansion, yes please. Not played that since 2002 and was in CEX the other day debating whether to pay £22 for it. All the new Splatoon stuff, will probably get South Park on Switch, have it on PS4 but had to rush it as the save file wasn’t working and had to effectively play it in one sitting (leaving the console on overnight). Then “oh, one more thing” Super Smash Bros OMG. I was happy for a mere Wii U port as I have the 3DS version only and I prefer it on console. I’m just so hyped… I’ll probably get loads of Amiibo too

Crash :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I’m on board for Okami and Octopath Traveller as well. I like the look of Mario Tennis a lot, but I’ve not got the time or money for it for a while yet, my living situation for the most of this year remains to be seen, but I’ll pick it up if I end up living with somebody who’s up for multiplayer on it.

Smash is something I’ve never got on board with (although I own every console version of it) but I’m happy for all you nerds who love it.

1 Like

The Octopath deluxe edition looked awesome too didn’t it. Let out a cheer at Okami :grin:
Also interested in Mario Tennis, Dark Souls, Captain Toad (had the wiiu version), Crash South Park and of course Smash. Waiting for more info on World Ends With You remake too. Gonna be a fun / busy / costly year :grinning:

(Aren’t the Crash games utterly awful?)

They’ve aged horrendously. Good for nostalgia but can’t imagine many newcomers getting into it

Wow! That was a fantastic direct.

Loads in there I fancy picking up (Tennis, Crash, Smash, Toad, Octopath) and loads that I’m pleased is coming just in terms of 3rd party support and other people’s wishes (South Park, Souls, Okami).

I honestly didn’t expect this level of info pre E3, so you have to wonder what they are holding back for there.

I also hope this puts a dent in the people moaning about a dead 2nd year, but maybe I just need to delete reddit if I want to read balanced opinions.

Some good stuff in this direct, really knocking it out the park I think.

• Crash Bandicoot is a must buy. Loved those games and the remaster looked ridiculous.
  • Mario Tennis is also a must buy. Loved the deep mechanics and the cool looking modes. Saw folk complaining that it looked overly complicated but, get this guys, tennis is a complicated game, and reducing it to simply two buttons is a bit cheap. Looks like they’ve added special move KO like a fighting game to the series, which has me on board.
  • Captain Toad (thanks @vamos) has me excited. The price will be important for me.
  • Smash is obviously exciting.
  • Splatoon 2 single player DLC has me sitting upright and ready to go. Def on my list for purchase.

Not too bothered

• Undertale got a lot of write ups. Never heard of it.
  • Dark Souls I guess is good. Not my thing
  • A South Park game in 2018? How is this still a thing? Apparently it’s GOTY level, which amazes me.
  • Travis Strikes Again looks brilliant, but I’ve no idea what No More Heroes is, so that’s interesting for me.

But seriously

• Smash in 2018
  • But so is Pokémon RPG apparently, in 2018
  • Metroid Prime 4 is now 2019 for sure

I’m certain they’ll be launching Super Smash Bros. for the Online. Pokémon might be Christmas? Christ, 2018 is strong, and that’s not even counting the Labo buzz.

3 Likes

Didn’t they tart them up? I guess, as the first 3D platformer-era game, it needed a lot of work to make it work, right? It looked brilliant.

Didn’t think metroid was dated at all when announced? Wasn’t expecting it till next year.

1 Like

The remasters look great. The actual gameplay is horrible, except Warped where they switch it up a bit and provide some more variety.

Is Pokemon nailed on for this year?

Metroid wasn’t dated, but Pokémon was… (2018… or “later”) I guess?

Pokémon would be a good fit for late November/early December really.

I don’t remember thinkning the gameplay was bad… the reviews seemed to be very good. I am optimistic. £40 works for me.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to complain about that Direct. To me it was great, as there’s tons of games I haven’t played before. But if you had a Wii U and another console it’s not unlikely that you’ve completed a vast swathe of these games.

2 Likes

Yup. Been playing the remastered versions on PS4 and they’re fucking awful. No camera controls, terrible perspectives, really unforgiving game mechanics. No fun at all.

Yeah, honestly to me there would have to be Metroid and Pokemon games that were on a similar level to BOTW/Odyssey to really match up to/eclipse last year.

I’m excited for Smash online and on the go, but it’s Smash, they’re all basically the same thing. Happy to be proved wrong but Kirby, Yoshi and maybe Tennis feel like filler. Excited to get the chance to play Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad but as you say, Wii U owners won’t get much from double dipping. Labo is an interesting wild card.

Then there’s some fairly high profile ports, led by Dark Souls, and as for exclusives there’s… Octopath Traveler. Which fortunately is right up my street, but is objectively one that probably wouldn’t cause a big splash if it was on Xbox/PS.

1 Like

Yeah totally. Only things that I was overly excited about were things that, if I owned a PS4 like most folks, I’d have already played. Glad so many people will get to experience these overlooked gems but not loads to get me pumped, just yet…

So, even though I don’t really like the Smash Bros games, the BEST thing about them is speculating on which characters they’re going to add.

GUESS PEOPLE! I’m saying:

Springman / Ribbon girl from ARMS
Inklings from Splatoon
Rex from Xenoblade 2

I think they may reward those third parties who jumped on board early too with DLC a la Cloud and Ryu:

Peach Rabbid
Rayman
Shovel Knight
DOOM guy
Minecraft dude

Rayman and “Rabbid” (with Mario, Luigi and Peach costumes) is almost certain. Hopefully not at the cost of Sonic.

1 Like