Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

The game looks solid for a tablet version of the game but Doom is a bloody looker on the PC/PS4/Xbone

Like one of the best looking games this generation. I still think the strength of the Switch is generally speaking the simpler games and don’t see FPS really getting much of an audience on the machine unless they modify the gameplay mechanics and general vibrancy of the visuals (more stylized, less technical)

I think the best ‘AAA’ games are going to be ports of past generation games or exclusives. Otherwise the console is a machine for Indie titles and not cross-platform ‘AAA’ games IMHO. That’s not where the appeal of the system is, if you have multiple machines and the means to play these games on a TV then you should probably get those versions.

1 Like

Have fun. Really enjoyed this on wiiu and tempting to double dip. So much content.

2 Likes

Such a brilliant game.

2 Likes

This looks quite fun:

1 Like

My wife went and surprised me with Zelda, so there you go.

10 Likes

See you in August!

2 Likes

Whilst you wait for Diablo 3 this is coming out for Switch and is meant to be pretty good

People who said bayonetta 2 is more accessible and casual friendly than 1- you were right.

People who said bayonetta 2 is less pervy than 1- ermmmmm not seeing it!

Brilliant game. Loki can do one though obviously.

1 Like

So yeah yeah yeah Zelda is fun. Utterly bewildering mind you. Fucking cooking? Jesus.

3 Likes

I’m going to, a year late, add my thoughts about the first two hours of Zelda to this post, and then probably shut up about it.

• So the world is fucking enormous. The map I have unlocked on the Platuea seems massive, and then I accidentally zoomed out on the overworld map and got a fright as to the size of it. Jesus. And it looks like I can see it all the whole time? How the fuck is the wee black box able to render this whole thing so well! Man, this is an impressive technical showcase.
  • My wife even said it loos amazing. Not really been a fan of cel shaded graphics after the perfect application of them in Jet Set Radio, but by god this game is a looker.
  • My first impressions were “where are the swords” and “why am I still naked?”. I am still naked, two hours in, but at least I’ve got a shit load of melee weapons. I have so far found the difficulty brutal. I have died about twenty times (thought four of them were falling off the big Tower; they’re a big of a night mare to get down from, aren’t they?) and five times in the cold before I realise what was happening. I assume that’s just me missing some tutorial, but it’s very off putting.
  • The physics shrines I’ve done (four I think) have added cool Portal style weapons that I’ve used a bit which is neat, but the button mapping is a nightmare - why the fuck are they using the R and L buttons, not the triggers, for those?! Jesus. The other two do nothing, so I don’t know what I am missing at this point.
  • I figured out cooking by accident, which was fun. They wee chime it plays as it cooks is fucking adorable. However, quite a lot of the time music will suddenly play and I won’t know why it has played. Sounds like a Level Up sound, but I don’t know what it means. Odd.

Full caveat - I’ve never played a Zelda game before, so all this is new to me.

2 Likes

Fwiw you could have basic clothes from the very start. If you want to know they’re in the chests in the shrine of ressurection

So, the clothes are hidden away? Ha, I’ll go back and get them at lunch. Weird. Was I supposed to know they were there? I am suddenly very worried that as someone who doesn’t know the tropes of a Zelda game I’m going to miss a lot of details.

Trigger buttons are for your arrows. I found the button mapping a bit of a nightmare at first, but once you’ve got used to it, it’s actually a really brilliant layout.

1 Like

Oh, I 've not got any arrows yet. Totally forgot about arrows! Neat.

I swapped Jump to be B and whatever B did is now X. That feels more natural to me.

I don’t think that you can open them until you get the slate, but they’re in plain site iirc. You’ll learn, but yeah some things that’d be second nature to seasoned players might take you a while

1 Like

and getting down from the towers becomes easier spoiler: (when you get the kite thing from the geezer)

1 Like

You’ll get a much better way of getting off the big towers soon (if you’ve done 4 shrines), so don’t sweat that for too much longer.

2 Likes

Maybe the first few times. Not being able to (completely) skip these animations or make multiples of a given item at the same time becomes absolutely infuriating.

6 Likes

What’s pretty different about it from most other games is that there aren’t really any tutorials as such. When you get a new item it’ll tell you “oh, press whatever to do this” but that’s about it. So much of the learning how to do things comes from observing the world around you and trying things out and - as you’ve already experienced - having your arse brutally handed back to you when you get it wrong/it doesn’t work.

The whole approach is basically “figure it out yourself yeah?” and sometimes it’s brilliant, because you feel great when you realise you can do something, and other times it’s just painful and you wish the game would just hold your hand and give you a bit more guidance.

3 Likes

For all that, I’ve only needed to resort to looking stuff up once; which was a case of knowing what I needed to achieve, but not how I could do it with the tools at my disposal.

2 Likes